G4 ti screen question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BiPolar, Apr 12, 2004.

1. BiPolar macrumors member

I'm looking at buying a g4 ti, and found a decent deal. However, they say that there is a problem with the screen. At a certain viewing angle, the screen goes white, move the screen angle and it comes back. Is this a major problem or sympton of a screen about to fail.

Thanks

2. ant_s macrumors member

ant_s

A similar thing happened to my Gateway Solo notebook a few years ago - happened after a sharp hit, but can also occur from vibration, bumps and knocks, and of course - a lot of opening and closing! Basically it sounds like the inverter card is going (or has gone), or has become disconnected slightly.

Whilst it's repairable, generally manufacturers like to replace an entire screen. I've still got that laptop, and it will work at certain angles, or if you put a bulldog clip on one side of the screen - but it's a thin plastic casing, as opposed to the PowerBook which is metal - so you could be okay.

As with any faults with computers, expect them to get worse over time - it is a general wear and tear problem...but if it's a good deal...go for it!

3. BiPolar thread starter macrumors member

Thanks...and on a side note, did you overclock your 2700?

4. ant_s macrumors member

ant_s

5. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

it's most likely a loose connection the screen on my dell laptop and some other laptops i've used blanks out if you bend the screen back too far

6. BiPolar thread starter macrumors member

is this an issue that would stop me from buying? Or is it just a nuisance.

7. ant_s macrumors member

ant_s

If it is a loose connection, it should be quite easy to fix - just involves a bit of fliddly screwdriver work. Good luck!