G4 TiPB Heat

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sturm375, Apr 18, 2002.

1. sturm375 macrumors 6502

I am using a G4 500 Mhz Powerbook, and have notice of late, the fan turning on much more often that before. I have had the PB since Oct. 2001 and until recently the fan only came on if I was doing some serious processing, for extended periods of time(iTunes w/ visuals, DVD player, and such). But now just doing the regular stuff (4D in Classic, IE 5.1) the fan comes on almost once an hour.

This Powerbook is my primary computer at work, so I use it about 9 hours a day. I use it in an air-conditioned home-office. I haven't noticed an increase in the environmental tempature. I am currently running OS 10.1.3 as my default OS, and I think it was shortly after the latest update that I started noticing the fan comming on more often.

Is this something to worry about, or is this normal?

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

have u seen any performance lag?

unless the system is suffering I wouldn't worry about it quite yet...

although I'm no tech...but that's what I'd do...

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've got a 667 TiPB and haven't noticed the fan coming all that much. But it does get a little warm. If the fan starts to stay on for long periods of time, that might indicate something has changed.

Do you have AppleCare for your TiPB.

4. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Just for fun, when it's doing that, try opening ProcessViewer. Kill anything called "LaunchCFMApp." This is apparently the runtime for Carbon applications, so close any Carbon apps (including IE) before doing this. I've seen a major problem where these never, ever terminate on their own, and after opening and closing IE a number of times, you get a whole bunch of them each eating a tiny amount of CPU (or occasionally a lot).

If this doesn't help, then also in ProcessViewer try sorting by CPU% (click the column header, if you don't know) and see what, if anything, is eating CPU time.