G4 to G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cephoto, Nov 11, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

2. macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Re: G4 to G5

I would say no because of hte cooling that is required by the G5 and the different architecture it will probably be a very long time before we see (if ever) an upgade to G5 for a G4 machine

3. macrumors regular

Geforce 3

You don't have to have a GeForce3 in that dual 867 of yours, do you?

4. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Wouldn't that be sort of pointless to put 2 processors that consume massive amounts of data on a 133MHz bus?

It's silly to hobble 1 processor with a 1GHz FSB behind a 133MHz wall, but two of them. :eek:

That's almost as silly as Mr. Leadfoot taking a race spec prototype Twin Turbo Porsche with a 2 gallon fuel cell on a cross country road trip.

Considering the cost and performance of that type of upgrade, keeping the machine and buying a 1.6GHz G5 would be a better alternative.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

you could have done without all the "silly" sh.., and just told me about the bus thing braintrust.

6. macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Well...why? That doesn't seem like a good idea. It's impossible, first off, but not a good idea second. The G3 and G4 were similar chips. The G5 is a whole new animal.

7. macrumors G4

Mord

then again they said that about the G3/4 upgades for 7300 power macs

8. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Re: Geforce 3

i got a geforce3, anyways the g5 is a different beast in a lot of ways so i dont see a g4 able to go to g5 but he could upgrade his machine to a dual 1.42 or single 1.467