G4 TV Out?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TBR, Nov 11, 2004.

1. TBR macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2004
    Blackpool - England
    Just wondering what the options are for connecting my old underused G4 533 to a tv so that I can watch movies/show slide shows etc on the Tv?

There must be a nice cheep TV card or something around?
    Everything I've found works the other way round and gives TV input ability, I want to output!

2. ShermDog macrumors regular

Mar 15, 2004
    I don't know what monitor outputs are on your machine, but if it has either VGA, ADC or DVI ports, Apple sells a DVI to S-video adapter for around $19USD. If your TV doesn't have S-video, I believe an S-video to composite adapter is included. If no DVI, you will also have to purchase a VGA or ADC to DVI adapter.

Good luck.
  3. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Not cheap but fantastic: Elgato EyeHome

According to the Elgato FAQ your system meets the minimum system requirements.

I have an EyeHome and I use it daily, it's an amazing bit of kit. 2 thumbs up!
  4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    You need a scan converter. They range from $100+ and take the VGA output of your G4's video card and convert it to composite or S-Video. I purchased one a few years back for my iMac DV. If you decide to purchase a scan converter, just make sure it supports the resolution & refreash rate on your video card. Many early converters only supported 640 x 480, which was a pain.

Sorry, apparently the DVI to Video adapter is not compatible with any PowerMac besides the G5's.

According to the Apple Store:

The Apple DVI to Video Adapter was designed specifically to allow Power Mac G5 systems users to connect from the DVI port to S-video or Composite video devices such as TVs, VCRs, or overhead projectors with S-Video or RCA (Composite) connectors. The Apple DVI to Video Adapter is designed to work with the DVI port on the Power Mac G5 system only.

Hope this helps.
  5. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    El Gato EyeTV 200

Anyone have any thoughts about the El Gato EyeTV 200? I am debating if it is something worth putting on my xmas list this year.
  6. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have the EyeTV 400 and it's a great bit of hardware, and all of the reviews I've read of the 200 are extremely positive. The current software for the EyeTV range is great, the EyeTVs themselves use hardly any CPU now, and the amount used is lowering with every new software update.