G4 upgrades for B&W G3?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Wano, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2002
    I started my first day of school today. Anyways, I was talking to one of my teachers and I remembered there were like 60 B&W macs with 17in apple B&W displays, and also that the district is PC only. So, I asked her what they are doing with all the G3's and she said they haven't used them in about 3 years, so I asked if it would be possible for me to get one, and she said she was gonna check!

So, anyways if I do get one or two of these for free, I would like to upgrade the proccessor to a G4, so I was wondering if any one know weather or not there are dual g4 upgrade cards for these? I have been looking all over and all I have found are 1ghz but I can't find them in stores.

2. Keith Purfield macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2003
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    All I could find was the Sonnet 1GHz G4 upgrade, and can't find it in stores, either.

Although, I wouldn't mind you hitting me up with one of them there B&Ws. :p
  3. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2002
    hehe...if i could I would hook you up, but I doubt i could. i am gonna try to get 2 of them though, if i can, one for me to set up a server and one for my mom. my mom needs a mac so bad, her dell is always crashing and there are always error messages coming up, so she can use one.
  4. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

Nov 28, 2001
    nope sonnet xlr8 did have a dual for the biege g3 which might have work. the fastest g4 you can buy is the 550 7410 g4 most use it at 600 oc. with a full 1 mb L2 cache it dosnt need L3 and is about equal to an 7450 800 g4 with 1 MBL3 cache. powerlogix has a 900 g3 and should have a 1.1 g3 next spring, sonnet is working on the bw version of the biege 1GHZ G4 but because of the 100MHZ bus (hotter) it may be a while in the mean time prices are going down and speeds are getting higher on upgrades. daystar has xlr8 500 for around $200 on ebay. your best bet is to wait until sonnet releases 1GHZ+ g4 and powerlogix releases 1GHZ+ g3 by next spring and look for a used radeon/7000 pci mac edition or flash a 32/64 MB version of the radeon PCI 7000, get a coulple of pc133 256MB chips (the highest it takes) and get the processor later.
    you may also want to get a serial ata/ata 133 pci card just $69 then you can use anysize hard drive or the new raptor 10000 rpm drive.
    this with the 550 upgrade is as fast as a recent imac or emac or powerbook 12" with no L3 cache so great for home use (non 3d graphics) ipod use. i have also played rtcw and ghost recon very smoothly at 1024x768 and it preety good i dont know about unreal 2003 though
    anyway i want about 5 of them BW if possible
  5. GraphicUmp macrumors member

Sep 29, 2002
    Mid Atlantic
    Go to OWC - that's the list of processor upgrades they have available for the B&W. They also have ATA-133 cards, lots o'RAM, hard drives.......anything you'd want for the old B&W (I've always liked mine).
  6. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2002