G4 upgrades for B&W G3?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Wano, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

I started my first day of school today. Anyways, I was talking to one of my teachers and I remembered there were like 60 B&W macs with 17in apple B&W displays, and also that the district is PC only. So, I asked her what they are doing with all the G3's and she said they haven't used them in about 3 years, so I asked if it would be possible for me to get one, and she said she was gonna check!

So, anyways if I do get one or two of these for free, I would like to upgrade the proccessor to a G4, so I was wondering if any one know weather or not there are dual g4 upgrade cards for these? I have been looking all over and all I have found are 1ghz but I can't find them in stores.

Thanks!

2. Keith Purfield macrumors regular

All I could find was the Sonnet 1GHz G4 upgrade, and can't find it in stores, either.

Although, I wouldn't mind you hitting me up with one of them there B&Ws. :p

3. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

hehe...if i could I would hook you up, but I doubt i could. i am gonna try to get 2 of them though, if i can, one for me to set up a server and one for my mom. my mom needs a mac so bad, her dell is always crashing and there are always error messages coming up, so she can use one.

4. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

nope sonnet xlr8 did have a dual for the biege g3 which might have work. the fastest g4 you can buy is the 550 7410 g4 most use it at 600 oc. with a full 1 mb L2 cache it dosnt need L3 and is about equal to an 7450 800 g4 with 1 MBL3 cache. powerlogix has a 900 g3 and should have a 1.1 g3 next spring, sonnet is working on the bw version of the biege 1GHZ G4 but because of the 100MHZ bus (hotter) it may be a while in the mean time prices are going down and speeds are getting higher on upgrades. daystar has xlr8 500 for around $200 on ebay. your best bet is to wait until sonnet releases 1GHZ+ g4 and powerlogix releases 1GHZ+ g3 by next spring and look for a used radeon/7000 pci mac edition or flash a 32/64 MB version of the radeon PCI 7000, get a coulple of pc133 256MB chips (the highest it takes) and get the processor later.
    you may also want to get a serial ata/ata 133 pci card just $69 then you can use anysize hard drive or the new raptor 10000 rpm drive.
    this with the 550 upgrade is as fast as a recent imac or emac or powerbook 12" with no L3 cache so great for home use (non 3d graphics) ipod use. i have also played rtcw and ghost recon very smoothly at 1024x768 and it preety good i dont know about unreal 2003 though
    anyway i want about 5 of them BW if possible

5. GraphicUmp macrumors member

Go to OWC - that's the list of processor upgrades they have available for the B&W. They also have ATA-133 cards, lots o'RAM, hard drives.......anything you'd want for the old B&W (I've always liked mine).

6. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502