G4 Wireless Card

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davisjw, Aug 15, 2006.

1. davisjw macrumors regular

davisjw

Hey,

Looking for a decent G4 wireless card. Bought a AGP G4 and need a wireless for it.. Thanks!

2. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

I bought the Sonnet Aria Extreme PCI wireless card. It is a bit expensive, but works perfectly at 802.11g speeds. It functions in my AGP G4 as if it were an Airport Extreme card. No problems.

3. davisjw thread starter macrumors regular

davisjw

Thanks for the reply! Nice card, was looking for something possibly a little less.. Any ideas?

4. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

Cards made by Buffalo reportedly use the Broadcom chipset which behaves like an Apple Airport card. They are much cheaper too.

I initially bought a Belkin card, Belkin said they were Mac OS compatable, but returned it after hours of frustration trying to get it to work. My time is worth more than additional hours meddling with pci cards, so I bought the Sonnet and it has worked great.

5. davisjw thread starter macrumors regular

davisjw

Checked the Buffalos much more in the price range I was hoping for but read they only work with Windows... Am I missing something? Thanks!

What are you other people using with your G4s?

6. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

Wireless PCI cards that contain the Broadcom chipset will function just like an Airport card. The Buffalo and Sonnet cards use the Broadcom chipset, other manufactures don't or use several different chipsets one of which may be a Broadcom. It can be a bit of a crapshoot for many wireless pci cards.

Take a look at this link and open up the image of the card. Note the Broadcom chipset with the sine wave type logo on the center.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162115

Good luck. Also, you can search the forums for more threads on wireless solutions. It is a very common topic for older machines.

7. davisjw thread starter macrumors regular

davisjw

Oh ok, thanks for the reply and more importantly explanation! Looks good, will check my local retailers and see if any of them have one. Thanks!

8. davisjw thread starter macrumors regular

davisjw

Just went to CompUSA and saw this Hawking wireless card [HWPG1] Wireless 802.11g PCI Card and was wondering if Macs could use it?

9. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

I googled that card and it appears to have the Ralink chipset. The Belkin card I tried had the Ralink chipset and I could not get it to work in my Mac using both of the available drivers.

EDIT: http://www.provantage.com/hawking-technology-hwpg1~7HAUW032.htm

If you look at the image you can see the Ralink logo on the chipset.

10. mgardiner macrumors newbie

I just ordered a Buffalo card from NewEgg:
    WL PCI ADPT BUFFALO|WLI2-PCI-G54S - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$35.99)

I'll post with results once I get everything set up. Have a new iMac and Airport Extreme coming shortly....

11. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

How about searching eBay for AirPort PCI? Sellers tend to use those terms for G4 Mac-compatible wireless cards.

12. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

I have both an Airport extreme (B/G) and an Airport cards sitting around the house. Send me a pm if you are interested.

13. Kaylina macrumors newbie

Passante

I've never posted on here, I don't know how to PM....but I'm looking for a wireless card for my laptop...it is a powerbook g4 titanium...

14. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

You might want to check the dates on this thread :rolleyes:

15. GarrathE macrumors newbie

Thank you! That explains why I wasted hours on the B-Link BL-LW01, which is also the Ralink chipset. As you say they drivers offered on the Mediatek site do not work. One nota all, the other causes Kernel Panics on the Power Mac G4 I want to take wireless.