G4 won't go to sleep

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mscott, Sep 19, 2004.

1. mscott macrumors newbie

Sep 19, 2004
    My dual G4 running System 10.03 has decided to stop going to sleep. Worked fine up until a few weeks ago. I have zapped the PRAM and reset the NVRAM. Sometimes it goes to sleep after zapping the PRAM and sometimes not. I close all the apps and still it refuses to sleep. The only way it will sleep is if I log out. I have no 2nd party cards in the G4. Seems like a software problem. Any ideas?
  2. MegaSignal macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2003
    Sleep always seems to be an issue with Macs with regard to any and all peripherals attached - including the monitor.

The biggest problem with my sleepless Mac has always been anything attached in the form of firewire and/or USB; ensure that nothing is connected.

I do not believe that the monitor is causing this situation in your case as you've already stated that this problem only began occurring a few weeks ago. I'll assume that you've been using the same monitor prior to that date.

As always, try repairing permissions as well as running Disk Warrior. If you don't have DW, it's a great way to invest in $90.

Let us know...