G4 worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maelstromr, Oct 17, 2003.

1. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

Hey everyone,
    I have the opportunity to buy a G4 dual 1.25 Ghz machine, pretty much stock, for about $1300. I should be able to get all warranty and apple care options from apple. Everything is with it, in box, light to moderate use, cleaned and taken care of afterwards by an apple tech.

Is this worth it?

Thanks,

Seth

2. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Kinda depends

On ram (stock is 256 or 512).. superdrive? FW800 and airport extreme capatible?
    If the old version has the power supply fan been upgraded to the 'quiet version?'

I currently have a FW800 version on ebay for a buy it now of $1449.. a new machine

3. maelstromr thread starter macrumors 6502

maelstromr

specs on it

it's got

1.25 G4 x2
    256MB ram
    80Gb HD
    FW 800
    combo drive
    and presumably the fan was fixed...(the apple tech)

so...worth it for 1300?

4. g3ski macrumors member

yes, it's worth it

check out http://www.barefeats.com/g5.html and you will see that a dual 1.25Ghz G4 is faster than the G5/1.6Ghz in some real world tests.

The dual G4 also allows you to have two internal optical devices....which I think is a big plus.

It's worth it, b/c the price is so low.

5. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

if its a FW800 version its a bargain

the G4 is more expandable, more slots, more HD's 2 opticals

there are some issues with Rev A. G5's

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's a good price. Buy it if you're in the market for a new computer. The G5 is nice, but for most things, the Dual G4 will be fine (and cheaper).

Just buy AppleCare (just in case). ;)

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

sounds solid and a high end g4 can do anything you want. you didnt mention video card but you can allways upgrade if needed.

8. maelstromr thread starter macrumors 6502

maelstromr

bought

Well, I bought her, and she's beautiful...got a 20" Apple LCD with it. Unbelievable.

thanks for all the great advice guys, this is the second time macrumors.com has helped in a multi thousand dollar purchase, and many in smaller ones!

Seth

BTW: I bought the Dual 1.25G4, 768MB RAM, 80GB HD, FW 800, combo drive stock everything else, 3 years apple care and a 20" Apple display for $2800. How can this be you ask? Ask your local apple stores about returned and display items...they have tons!