G4 Yikes 350 upgrade question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Brian Bosworth, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Brian Bosworth macrumors newbie

Brian Bosworth

Sep 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    How does OS10.1 run on a a G4350Mhz? Would I notice any performance and or is it necessary to upgrade the processor to the Sonnet 500Mhz zif.

I really love the box and will eventually go for a G5 but for now all I looking for is to update the software and get a little more speed.

Is the OWC 500 or 550Mhz zif's better performers then the Sonnet?

2. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2003
    Western Hemisphere
    I've used OSX on a G3 300 and it was NOT an enjoyable experience. I'm running it daily on a G3 500 Powerbook with 1GB of ram and it's fine - not great - but acceptable.

It's a factory 500 so I can't give input as to which upgrade is better, but I would go ahead and get one of the upgrades over your 350.

Boomer Sooner
  3. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2003
    Buckeye Country, O-H
    if you are upgrading a G4 Yikes machine, i don't know what the improvement would be except a little more speed, which is always better.

I am using a MT G3. When i bought it it orginally had a 266 Mhz ZIF. I was also running OS X 10.2 with it and it seemed slpwer than my moms iBook G3 500. So, i want and bought the OWC G3 533 Mhz. ZIF chip. Man I could not beleave the diffrence, it seemed like i had just droped a G4 chip in it. Maybe its because of the L2 1MB, who knows? But anyway, if i were you, i would do it.