G4s or G5s?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gonzaga, Jun 25, 2003.

1. gonzaga macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    Ok now that the G5s are annouced who out there would be interested in getting the Dual 1.25 gig G4 Power Mac rather than spending that whopping amount of money to purchase a G5?

All I know is that, I need a new one. This G4/350 mhz is outdated and I'm tired of updating crap on it.

WHICH ONE!!! LOL!! :( :cool: :rolleyes: :eek:
  2. djtet macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    in the same boat...

i believe i'm in the same boat that you're in...and i have been debating on either the single 1.25 or dual 1.25. it depends on how much freelance work i can get ($$$). i would like to try and get a refurbished system for a little cheaper. the g5's are nice, but out of my price range, and a lot of unneeded power for myself. i must ask though, is there that much of a difference between the rev A and rev B dual 1.25's. i don't care about airport extreme or firewire 800. the one thing i don't know about is the l3 cache...rev A has 2mb l3 cache while rev B has 1MB l3 cache. will this make that much of a difference???
  3. barkmonster macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2001

I've had a 300Mhz beige G3 since forever, all I've added as a USB card, 256Mb of extra RAM (320 total) and a large, 7200rpm drive for audio work and my increasing collection music videos and mp3s.

A dual 1.25Ghz G4 would kick the crap out my mac, then I could keep it for as long as it takes me to migrate to a 100% OS X environment, once I'm happy running OS X fulltime, I'll have 3GHz G5s to look forward to, that could mean something like a 2.4Ghz mid range model or something by then.

I might just get £1,200 together for a stripped dual 1.25 by the end of the year, hope they keep selling 'em :confused:
  4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Its tough, the single 1.25 and dual are both great deals in my opinion, but add a2-3 hundered more to the dual and you have a g5. Also all the 1.25 models have the 167 bus if im not mistaken, but dont offer the 9800 ati card as the new g5's do. Its enough to pull out your hair, the g5 is growing on me. Just remember the longer you wait the more you get. how long can we wait? Apple could have made this easy on me and many others by pricing the base g5 at $1500. oh well.