g4vg3 processor- im about to buy an ibook to run logic....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by flycheese, Jan 20, 2003.

1. flycheese macrumors newbie

could anyone tell me if they think its worth buying an ibook with a g3 processor when logic is configured for a g4 processor.

2. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

dont. if it is optimised for the g4 then you will gain in work time what you loose in extra cost for a pbook.

good luck.

3. flycheese thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply, anyone else have advice?
    ta.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i was all about the ibook in december (when i bought one).

now i'm all about the 12" powerbook. get that.

wait, no. buy my ibook. then *i* can get the 12" powerbook.

5. flycheese thread starter macrumors newbie

what happened to put you off the i book?
    does anyone know if mac will be squeezing a g4 processor into an i book ever??
    ta.

6. Mr. MacPhisto macrumors 6502

Well, I think some are down on the iBook because of the Powerbook 12" being introduced. I know that my first reaction was: "oh man! I can't believe I didn't wait!." Then I calmed down and realised I still got a great deal on my iBook and plan on keeping it for awhile.

As for updates to the iBook, I've read rumors they'll be updated sometime this year and will also have an aluminum case with a handle attached once more (the handle will fold down to present the iBook at an angle.

I'd also imagine that the iBook will get the G4 when the next generation of chips hits the Powerbooks. So I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 1GHZ G4 in the iBook this time next year, quite possibly. Maybe faster.

7. juanc01 macrumors newbie

G4 v G3

I am not a technician by any stretch, but my understanding is that the difference is not that great. It matters a LOT if the app has been optimized to take advantage of the G4. This includes thing like Photoshop and iTunes. Many more, i just don't have a list.

For example, on the side of my Jedi Knight II box it says something like 350Mhz G3 OR G4 processor.

So if you are buying a computer for a specific app, and that has been optimized for a G4, get the powerbook.

On the other hand, one of my co-workers has been doing web development on a Pismo (Powerbook G3) with no real problems.

8. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i have an ibook and use similar audio apps they do run, but more than 20 tracks of audio and wow it slows it down, get the new powerbook!!! it'll be so much nicer for you. Now if you don't plan on doing that much audio then i would recommend saving your money.

9. flycheese thread starter macrumors newbie

thankyou, the advice on this site has been great for a novice like me.

as for audio, i seldom use more than 5 audio tracks at a time, i do a lot of work on the internal sampler and on external midi instruments.

any more advice would be great.
    cheers...
    :D

10. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

i am looking at a laptop purchase over the next 12-18mnths. i know apples line will change by then (please 970) but i know this - you never ever EVER regret getting a pbook.

why?

because the pbook holds its value longer. it will eventually drop. but the pbook has many more features that ibooks will eventually get, just not yet. when they do that is whn your pbook starts to rapidly loose value.

as for actual work ability. the pbook will do alot of osx faster. i can guarentee you use some audio app. you also use itunes (we all do).

the g4 is a crappier chip than the g3. so why am i recomending you get it? because apple ahs made sure that if you want any form of power processing, you will need to get a g4.

sux eh? oh well. goood luck.

11. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

The 12" PowerBook basically is a dual-head aluminum G4 iBook that costs a few hundred more. The actual iBook may inherit the G4 once the PowerBooks inherit the PPC 970 (probably some time in 2004). It also may simply utilize faster G3s instead, and not move to the G4 at all.

A 700 or 800MHz iBook should more than cut it for what you're using it for in Logic. The G4 will give you a little more headroom, but AltiVec aside, it's more or less even with the Sahara G3. Both the PowerBook and the iBook should hold their value equally well, although the PowerBook will of course be worth more in any given length of time because it cost more to begin with. The G4 is great for the types of things that use AltiVec, like real-time effects, but for plain old 5-track playback and recording with MIDI synthesis on the side, AltiVec won't make too much difference.

I have a 550MHz G4 PowerBook that does the type of audio work you describe with no hiccups (although with Cubase 5.1 in OS 9). Real-world CPU speed is probably only about 65% of an 800MHz G3 (although AltiVec puts it ahead in some areas). The 12" PowerBook is better than the 800MHz iBook, but sometimes it's nice to save $500.

12. flycheese thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that.

i use quite a lot of plugins, which are basically real time effects (i think), the exs and es1 included. do these use altivec and will the g3 be able to deal with a good few of them on the go at the same time?

at the moment im on a g3 b&w 350mhz and when i use a few large plugins i get cursor bounce and my processor gets scared, i get mac av overload occasionally but my friend has a g4 and he gets that too!!

sounds like i need the g4, the 12" is all i can afford on a chimney sweeps wages, i would like to save $500 though and get the ibook.

someone please stop me buying the 12"powerbook!!!!!

cheers.:D

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i can't answer how many you'll be able to run, but remember that those plug-ins like a lot of memory.

so if you're tight on cash, you may be better served by an ibook w/ the RAM maxed than by the pbook w/ less RAM.

btw -- i haven't soured on my ibook (it's completely kickass, actually), i'm just kicking myself for not waiting another 6 weeks to get a laptop. i would've gotten the 12" pbook since my cash situation wasn't as tight as you're making yours sound)