g4vsg5= draw?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mord, Apr 27, 2004.

1. macrumors G4

Mord

2. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I don't think XBench is a very good benchmark program. The G5 has a faster video card, faster RAM, faster harddrive, and faster system bus. Even if the G4 processors were just as fast, I can't imagine it coming up as just as fast.

3. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

doesn't seem possible. The G4 is *faster* clock for clock? Even considering the G5 has twice the RAM, faster RAM, better video card, etc? No way.

4. macrumors 6502a

javabear90

Eek!!! :eek: I seriously doubt this is true. Are you sure that the processor wasn't on reduced mode or sumthin?

5. macrumors newbie

I wonder if the program they are using to get those stats is even written for 64 bits, or else the results arnt going to be right.

6. macrumors regular

hmm

Edit: woops

it does beat it in just about everything

odd that.

7. macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

This confirms what most people have been saying since before the release of the G5 - while the G5 is a floating point monster, for normal (read: integer) apps, the G4 is faster clock for clock than the G5. This is why waiting for a G5 powerbook is silly. Unless Apple releases a 2GHz+ G5 Powerbook, the current G4 powerbooks would be faster or just as fast as a slow 1.6GHz G5. The only advantage the G5 would have is in floating point heavy apps, such as 3d games and scientific analysis.

8. macrumors regular

I couldn't agree more. I ran it on my brand new, out of the box PB17 (fresh reboot, no background apps, with all the energy/processor settings correct) and it posted grossly inconsistent scores and continues to do so to this day (and my machine is flawless). I don't understand why people use this as a 'the bible' of mac speed testing. If you're not changing stuff, your machine should give consistent readings within a small range. That says to me there's something bunk about Xbench.

9. thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

complaning about the fact that xbench is not 64 bit is irellivent is mac osx 64bit no are any commen apps 64 bit no