G5 1.8 or dual 2ghz

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by adamfilip, Jul 10, 2003.

1. adamfilip macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

i can get either a G5 1.8 WITH 2gigs of Memory and a WD RAptor 10,000 rpm 36gig. as my primary (plus the reg hard drive)

or get a dual 2ghz g5 witrh 512mb and the reg hard drive

. its about the same price!

whatcah think?

2. NNO-Stephen macrumors 6502

NNO-Stephen

dual 2.0Ghz G5. rest of the stuff can be upgraded later. Processors however, cannot, and it's not only 200Mhz faster, it also has an entire other processor that the 1.8 simply does not have. the dual 2.0 cannot be beat for the money. go all out on it. get extra HD space and RAM later when prices go down and/or you can save up for them.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yeah, I guess I have to agree with that. But on the other hand, with only 512 RAM I doubt the dual 2 Ghz will really show you what it can do. And can't the processors be upgraded? I know they can on the G4... do we know about processor upgradability on the G5?

But all in all, yeah, probably go for the 2 Ghz and upgrade the RAM as soon as you can.

4. NNO-Stephen macrumors 6502

NNO-Stephen

apple has said no about processor upgrading in the G5s cause the cooling system is so precise, and frankly that is good enough reason for me to want to stay the hell out of there. but seriously, get the dual 2Ghz and upgrade RAM later, who knows, prices may even fall before you can afford more ram... and it's always cheaper from someone besides Apple. www.dealram.com it's your friend. :D

5. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

If you don't think that you're going to be able to upgrade the Ram in the future, I'd go with the 1.8 Ghz option because of the extra RAM you can put into it. But, if upgrading the ram in the future is an option, I'd splurge for the 2.0 x 2 Ghz Machine.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The dual. I'm not a big fan of the single proc G5 pricing, and the dual 2.0GHz G5 is a much better deal, imo. Of course, the 512MB of RAM is quite limiting. :eek: Is your configuration including RAM you bought at Apple, or is it from a 3rd party vendor?

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Go for the dual - and get a price quote from General Cybernetics. They seem to have the best prices and throw in some free RAM.

D :D

8. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I was just about to say that. Look at other places. Most times someone will give you a free 512 or something.

P-Worm

9. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Yep. Think about the future, as they say. Long term you can upgarde the RAM, but not the G5

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have heard a lot of good about general cybernetics as the best deal around

11. GulGnu macrumors regular

Do get the dual - Apple robs you blind on RAM - get some cheap from an online RAM dealer instead, and enjoy the Duallie =

/GulGnu

-Stabil som fan!