G5 1.8 processor on 1.6 mainboard?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by v-i-c-, Sep 18, 2004.

1. macrumors member

hello

i want to put an 1.8 ghz g5 processor (cause i have no other processor) on a 1.6 g5 mainboard. will that work? (i don't want it to run at 1.8ghz - 1.6 is enough - i just want to bring the g5 mainboard to life)

:confused:

2. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I think it will work, but man, what an odd thing to do. Where did you get the parts for that?

3. thread starter macrumors member

4. macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

let us know how it worked out. I think you are the first that will try it!

5. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Is there a third-party Thermal Calibration program around?

6. thread starter macrumors member

ok - i got most of the parts that i need for my frankenstein G5 (1.6/1.8) - just need the screws and the graphicscard now - for the first attempt to bring the G5 to live i want to use an old graphicscard: the ati rage 128 (agp) from an old G4

any idea if i run in trouble using this card? i heared that older agp-cards needs different voltages and that they can damage modern mainboards - is that true? has anyone ever tried to put such an old card into a G5?

7. macrumors G4

Mord

yeah dont do it older cards run at much higher voltages, if your cheap get a 5200 off ebay if your adventurous buy a pc 9800 and flash it (it's not to hard if you have a pc and there are no resistor moves or anything like that) if your rich get a 9800se mac edition for $$$$.

8. macrumors 68000

Hey- If you want an original nVidia GeForce 5200 Ultra, I've got one. This originally came with a 1.6 Ghz G5... if you are interested, PM me.

9. thread starter macrumors member

thx

as written in my PM to you it's to expensive to buy small parts in u.s. for europeans cause the bank wants to much money for the transfer :(

but i got an geforce 5200 ultra (from a g5) just some minutes ago on ebay for 60,- :D

10. thread starter macrumors member

11. thread starter macrumors member

don't try it! - calibration will not work because processor is to fast - need help - any oher way to "calibrate" fans?

12. macrumors 68000

Wow- great pictures.

No clue on calibration, but the construction of your machine is impressive.

13. thread starter macrumors member

just found this on the web

"the G5 is second only to the Power
    Macintosh G4 Cube in terms of noise when everything is working
    properly. Similarly, the G5 is second only to an F-16 on afterburner
    when the system has sensed an error.

If there is a temperature-sensing
    problem in the G5, the system employs a fail-safe feature to ensure you
    don't burn up the computer. As some of you may know, the fail-safe
    procedure is to turn ALL the fans on and set the fan speed to
    "deafening" while slowing the processors down to 1.3GHz."

http://www.smalldog.com/newsarchive/techtails_display.php?id=207

run some tests - looks really like working in energy save mode all the time! maybe i have to "flash" the board?? to prevent that fail save feature?

14. macrumors 6502

If you flash the 9800 pc, will it work in a MDD PowerMac G4? Do you have detailed instructions on how to do this?

15. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You might want to ask Hector why the calibration program on the Apple service disk (for Service Techs) didn't work.

The calibration needs to be run any time a new CPU module is plugged in, even one of the same speed.

16. macrumors G4

Mord

http://strangedogs.proboards40.com/index.cgi?board=experiments

as for the thermal calibration i still have the cd if you want it contact me on AIM, i live in london so i could post a copy to you

17. thread starter macrumors member

i allready used the apple service calibration cd - all tests ok.
    but before i can start all the tests the app shows this directly after the ASD app started:

"THERMAL CALIBRATION ERRORS DETECTED

MLB bus speed is less than CPU0 bus speed: MLB 800MHZ CPU0 900

Replace CPU, restart Mac, Run ASD, Press Calibrate button to calibrate this Macintosh.

Calibration will take 10 to 20minutes to finish"

below that there are 3 buttons:

"calibration skip shutdown"

i can press "calibration" (it's not greyed out) but nothing happens when i press it - nothing changes on the screen and i can hear no difference from the fans like in the tests later when it tests sensors and fans itself.

when i press "skip" screen changes to the normal ASD test screen but jumps back to this error screen - this happens only 1 time - next time i press skip it stays on the screen with the normal service tests

looks like unless i find a jumper or a firmware update to tell the board that it's ok to run at 900mhz ;) i have no chance to use the board and the processor at normal speed (1.6 or 1.8) - it will stuck at 1310mhz CPU and 655mhz bus speed with fans running at high speed (which is MUCH louder than my other G5 ever was) - i know there was a website that showed some jumpers that can be soldered (but no chance for me to solder such small parts :( ) to tell the processor it's speed:

http://24.13.230.40/overclock/g5.html

- at this moment i would be glad if there is a way to tell the 1.8ghz processor board to run at 1.6ghz without soldering - for the first time it would be also ok to get these fans under control - isn't there a way to read out the calibration of another g5 and flash it into another one? or maybe flashing the board or something like that - isn't there any way to prevent this fail-safe feature?

or maybe is there someone out who wants to exchange a 1.6ghz G5 processor to my 1.8? ;)

18. macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Needs balls to fiddle with all this expensive gear, not easy nor cheap to get hold of.

19. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You may want to e-mail Michiro Isobe and see if he has heard of any "motherboard" jumpers that need to be changed.

Remember the G5 is a bit different than the G4, the Memory Controller and the support processor do a heck of a lot more than they did in the G4.

This error looks like it's telling you there is a difference between what the Memory Controller is clocking in at, and what the CPU module says it can run at.

Edit: and I do mean motherboard, not the jumpers on the CPU module.

20. macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm VIC's Brother and it's "my" Mac. :D

My favorite solution ist to tell the board to shut it's mouth and run at the
    FSB we want him to. If there is no way at all, a friend of mine is a genius
    in soldering. For example: he overclocked the old AMD Athhlons by solder
    a microscopic wire to the jumperbridges of the CPU. He told me, he's not
    blind, therefore it's easier to solder than to use a stencil. :eek:

How did the other guys overclock their g5s without changing anything on the
    logicalboard to get a higher FSB?

I dont't like to downgrade a CPU, because all of my PCs are running at a
    higher speed than the manufactor wants to. :cool:

What a shame to tell my collegues at NetZock, that my Mac can't be
    overclocked. They will ROTFL and telling my that Mac ist crap. :rolleyes:

There MUST be a solution!

TIA
    Kind Regards
    Michael

21. macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

The windtunnel (mirror-drive doors) was the noisest. I don't see how you can say the cube is loud considering, it has no fans at all.

kyle

22. macrumors 68030

Platform

WOW

That was really cool, Would like to try myself how much did it total up to :confused:

edit: but it does not seem to work that well. or is it just the fan noise :confused:
    How about if you have bought a SP PM can you later add another cpu to the board :confused:

23. thread starter macrumors member

that's the point here - if we get rid of the problems the answer is: yes

ok maybe i should explain it again:

Apple Service Diagnostic Tests worked well - all tests passed.
    the hardware is in perfect condition and the computer is also working perfectly with OS X but there are 2 issues:

i cannot run thermal calibration in the Apple Service Diagnostic Software because the G5 is in a kind of safe mode. this safe mode is activeted because the firmware recognized that the board bus is to slow for the processor bus. that safe mode causes to run the G5 at a speed of 1.31 MHz instead of 1.6/1.8 and 655mhz bus frequency instead of 800/900, it also turns on all the fans at their full speed.

for this problem there should be 6 ways to fix it:

1. i buy a 1.6 processor and sell the 1.8 on ebay (will work for sure)

2. i buy a 1.8 single (2003) mainboard and sell the 1.6 single board on ebay (will work for sure)

3. some king of soldering helps us and solder the jumpers on the processor board (like shown on that website - link above) that the processor runs with 1.6 mhz and 800mhz bus.

4. some king of soldering helps us and solder the jumpers on the processor (how????) that the processor speed is still 1.8ghz but bus speed is set to a lower setting than the max mainboard bus speed is (maybe 600mhz like the "new" G5 single 1.8)

5. someone finds out how to overclock the mainboard speed to 900mhz (soldering or not soldering)

6. the way i would prefer (but no big hope): i find a way to patch the firmware of the G5 that this "safety mode" will not be activated and/or i find an app that gives me control over fans and processor speed (which is possible but i think not existent yet)

I NEED HELP! 1&2 is the last solution that i can afford because it costs $$$ again and this G5 was only a few $100 cheaper than a new 1.8 single and i still want to see it below that price.

btw: here you can see how it performs vs a new single 1.8GHz (which was on reduced speed settings):

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?doc1=96222&doc2=96375

this is the result compared to the same machine at high settings (and the frankenstein G5 still stuck at it's low settings):

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?doc1=96222&doc2=96376

i didn't said that - Duane Letourneau said it in "G5 Thermal Management"

he wanted to say that the G5 is really a quiet Mac and that there is only the cube which is more quiet (and some iMacs and iBooks ;)) - the G5 is not louder than the G4 MDD normally but when this "safety mode" is activeted and the fans are running really at it's full speed then it's louder than everything i ever heared - (i have the dual 2.5GHz whith GeForce6800 ultra DDL which is the loudest G5 - the liquid cooling system doesn't reduce noise because there are still all that fans in the machine and the gf6800 is loud too - the dual 2.5 is nothing compared to the other G5 in it's safety mode, i would say it's feels 10 times louder than the 2.5 at it's highest sound level)

24. macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

oh! i understand now. Thanks for clarifying. I had a Single 1.8 and when that thing went to full speed - It sounded insane.

kyle

25. macrumors G4

Mord

he's saying the only mac quieter than the G5 is the cube.

no computer on the planet is quieter than a g4 cube with a flash based HD (you can get them they are very expensive).