Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Hey all. I have had some issues with my powermac dual 2.0s so I returned them and got a SP 1.8. It is great and seems just as fast for what I do but I Have been having some trouble with it. I have Tiger installed and after I played UT 2003 for a litte while when I went to exit out of the game the computer froze on the black transition screen. Force Quit key command would not work so I had to hard reset it. Then it did it again when I had some safari windows open and I had to do a hard reset again. Then last night when I went to put it to sleep it locked once again. I decided to open it up and check out the internal temps. The computer was running cool EXCEPT for the GeForce 5200. The heatsink on that baby was boiling hot. Could the graphics card be my problem?? Is it a had install of Tiger and I should reinstall. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Oh, and I upgraded the RAM to 1gig but I used Crucial certified memory and I never had problems with the RAM in the other G5s. Just thought I toss that in there. I'm also running 10.4.1 in case that matters as well.

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
Chrispy said:
Hey all. I have had some issues with my powermac dual 2.0s so I returned them and got a SP 1.8. It is great and seems just as fast for what I do but I Have been having some trouble with it. I have Tiger installed and after I played UT 2003 for a litte while when I went to exit out of the game the computer froze on the black transition screen. Force Quit key command would not work so I had to hard reset it. Then it did it again when I had some safari windows open and I had to do a hard reset again. Then last night when I went to put it to sleep it locked once again. I decided to open it up and check out the internal temps. The computer was running cool EXCEPT for the GeForce 5200. The heatsink on that baby was boiling hot. Could the graphics card be my problem?? Is it a had install of Tiger and I should reinstall. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Oh, and I upgraded the RAM to 1gig but I used Crucial certified memory and I never had problems with the RAM in the other G5s. Just thought I toss that in there. I'm also running 10.4.1 in case that matters as well.
Your sig says you are using ATI 9800.
If you are using GeForce, it's very well possible not be able to handle it.
Try using a different video card to see what happen.
Just my 2 cents...

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Oh yeah the ATI was ordered but got delayed so I do not have it in the computer yet.... still using the GeForce... sorry for the confusion haha. That was my mistake :eek:

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Anyone got any ideas here? I really think it may be the OS X install. I have a burned version of Tiger loaded right now as I wait the 2-4 weeks for apple to send me my "up-to-date program" update DVD. I wonder if that is not the cause??

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Ok, I restored the computer back to Panther from the included recovery DVDs and now it runs just fine. I must be that Tiger DVD that was causing the problem. I have a free copy of Tiger coming from apple so when that gets here I will use it. Oh well, Panther was not that bad so I will just enjoy this for the time being.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Well I called apple and apparently I got ANOTHER bad unit. I have to take it in for exchange today....

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
That G4 is starting to look really nice Chrispy...perhaps work could "buy" it for you. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.