G5 1.8 Single turns on but doesn't run the system

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macacao, Oct 2, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 2, 2010
    Hello, I bought this Mac G5 1.8 Single I believe in 2003. She was working perfectly and suddenly a couple of years ago she started to increase the cooling fans. Later when there was a power failure from the authorities she couldn't start first in a day and then maybe in a couple of days later or a week. Now, I have a new computer but still want to recover a couple of things from her and try to fix it so I can use it for another minor stuff.

She starts when I press the power button, I hear all the machine starting but I don't hear the chord sound telling me that she's booting. Then the white light in the power button starts to flash. The monitor stays black.

What should I do? What is happening to my computer?

2. macrumors 601

Feb 6, 2010
    On the fence
    That sounds like a bad logic board, so it's essentially toast. I'd pull the hard drive(s) and use a dock or enclosure to get the data from them.
  3. macrumors 6502a

May 7, 2006
    Probably so. You might as well try re-seating RAM and pulling all non-Apple RAM just in case, but those aren't the usual symptoms for RAM problems. Still, can't hurt to try, for the 5min it takes.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    I believe I read somewhere that bad ram can cause no chime and a flashing power button light. I'll look around for it.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Aug 9, 2009
    I don't know the situation with G5's, but I know the light flashes and the machine also beeps 3 times on my powerbook