G5 2.0 or 2.5? Buying this week.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ShermDog, Nov 14, 2004.

1. ShermDog macrumors regular

I am looking to buy either a Dual 2.5 or 2.0 this week, but I'm not sure if the extra expense of the 2.5 is worth it, given what I will be doing with the machine. I will primarily be using it to edit home movies (mini DV) using FCE and burn them to DVD using DVDSP, fix photos with Photoshop Elements, and the usual word processing, spreadsheet, internet stuff as well. I am not a gamer at all, but I don't want to skimp on the GPU since I've heard that future versions of OSX will rely more heavily on the GPU.

I have just enough money to purchase a Dual 2.5 with 1GB RAM, 250GB HD, airport, and internal bluetooth. I will also be upgrading the Superdrive with an internal Pioneer DVR-108 dual-layer DVD burner.

Alternatively, I can purchase a Dual 2.0, upgrade to 3GB RAM (Crucial), 250GB HD, the Radeon 9600XT, airport, bluetooth, and the Pioneer DVR-108--all for roughly the same as the Dual 2.5 above.

Whichever one I get, my wife won't let me buy another computer for a minimum of 5 years, so it will have to last at least that long.

My questions are:
    1. All other things being equal, is it better to have a Dual 2.5 with 1GB RAM, or a Dual 2.0 with 3GB RAM, especially for video work (FCE, DVDSP)?

2. Is the Radeon 9600XT with 128MB RAM a good enough graphics card given that I don't play games at all? Or should I seriously be considering stepping up to the 9800XT?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The dual 2.5ghz is the absolute biz -- we have 3 at work.
    You can always put more RAM in it further down the line.

If you don't play games, then don't worry about the graphics card IMO. Any savings could be used towards more RAM or an extra hard-drive for a scratch disk.

We have 74gb Raptors in ours: highly recommended.

3. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i would go with the 2.5. you could always convinced your wife to let you put in a bit more money for some extra RAM. you can't upgrade the processors.

4. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

Make sure that you downgrade the optical drive if you are going to replace it anyway. The combo drive will save you a cool 100 dollars. Also, consider not having a modem in the computer.