G5 2.5 DP No Longer Recognizes SATA Drive B

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Moof1904, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

May 20, 2004
    The title pretty much says it all. I have two different SATA drives that worked fine before in this computer and now neither one mounts when I put it in internal SATA slot B in my G5.

I guess to be absolutely certain that both drives didn't simultaneously fail, I should move the drive that's in A (and is mounting and working fine) to slot B (and also try the spare SATA drives in slot A) to make sure it's the Mac and not the drives. Considering the extremely low chance that the problem is two completely unrelated drives dying while sitting in their boxes on my shelf, I have to believe that the problem is the cabling/motherboard that controls slot B.

Neither spare drive will mount nor are they visible with disk tools.

I ran the hardward diagnostic DVD and it reports no problems.

Is there something else I should try before packing up the G5 and taking it to the Apple store?
  2. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

May 20, 2004
  3. djdawson macrumors member

Apr 28, 2005
    I'd check the cables where they attache to the mother board. I have the same model G5 and have noticed that it's easy to tug those cables excessively when adding/removing a drive in that slot. I seem to recall that those cables attach at the upper edge of the mother board, but I might be wrong about that.

Good luck!
  4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Yes, isolating the problem is always a good thing.
  5. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

May 20, 2004
    I examined the cable leads and they seemed to be firmly attached. I'll give them another look, though, just to be sure. If that doesn't work, I'll move drive A to slot B and verify that it stops working.

That should pretty much confirm whether it's drive/cabling/or MB related.