G5 2.5 fans in CS 2

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by klaus, Oct 12, 2005.

1. klaus macrumors 6502a

klaus

Hello,

My dual 2.5 is about one year old and I haven't had a single technical issue with it since I got it. I upgraded it to 3 gb ram, 1 raptor 74 drive as boot, and the original 160 gb sata as secundairy drive. It works flawlessly.

But lately, i've been experiencing some excessive fan behaviour when using Photoshop CS 2. I didn't notice (or didn't bother) it earlier, but now it's starting to become a real pain when using photoshop.

Here's the situation :
    I've opened a standard A4 document, selected the type tool, and started typing a text in the document.
    Apparently, this causes my G5 to turn on it's fans as loud as 75-80% of it's "airplane sound". It stays on that level until I stop typing.

This is just an example, every small thing I do in photoshop causes my fans to rev up significantly. Also when i'm trying to move a little item from the left to the right, it revs.

I know it's supposed to rev when it's doing something intensive, but I don't think the tasks i'm doing are THAT intensive.

Either way, i've used hardware monitor while testing this, and found my CPU A temperature goes up to 88-90 degrees when typing text. CPU B remains untouched.

When I go out to my nephew and test these things on his dual 2.0 ghz, his fans don't even come on at all.

It's quite frustrating since the fans are a lot louder than the music playing on my computer.

My energy settings were set to Automatic, when using Reduced, the fan noise was the same but the temps didn't go beyond 78°C.

When I stop what i'm doing, the temps go back to about 55 degrees for CPU A en 48 degrees for CPU B.

Any thoughts on this? Thx a lot!

2. klaus thread starter macrumors 6502a

klaus

Well, using XRG shows all my fans are going full speed up to 3200 rpm, except for the drive bay fan.

Don't know what to think of it really.

I do know that if I would work at a design studio where there are several of these machines next to me on the table, i'd be going nuts having to listen to this fan noise all day when using the simplest tools in photoshop.

3. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

I hate to say this but, take it to a Apple store and demand that they fix this NOW. It is no huge problem but it is no minor problem either.

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

5. klaus thread starter macrumors 6502a

klaus

The latest powermacs don't have a PMU, but i'll try resetting the SMU tonight.
    Some other people said I might need to recalibrate the fans.

Hope somethings comes out, i'll keep you guys posted.

6. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

It might sound wierd, but I think it is actually an issue with Adobe. I have CS on my PC here at work (3.2 GHz P4 w/ HT, 1 GB RAM), and on my Mac at home (see sig). If I start working in Illustrator on either the fans kick into high gear. Even if I am not doing anything and just have it open they run full speed. On my Mac, the only other things that kick my fans into high are video rendering (not editing) and...well, I can't think of anything else actually. But Illustrator and Photoshop do it all the time (but Illustrator is worse).

7. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Yes, they do. It's next to the power connector on the bottom left side of the mobo.

Only the "Late 2004" 1.8GHz has an SMU, as that was basically the iMac G5 motherboard AFAIK.