G5 2.5's lifespan is 2 years

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by keysersoze, Apr 12, 2005.

1. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Appleinsider's newest post is fairly a recap of ThinkSecret's report about NAB and possible announcements, however the last paragraph is alarming:

"These liquid-cooling systems, which were designed by Delphi, manufactured in Mexico, and shipped to Apple's manufacturing facilities in Asia, have been the topic of concern at several Apple exec meetings.

According to reliable sources, Delphi only guarantees the cooling systems to Apple for a period of 2.5 years, though the expected life-span of each unit is rumored to be closer to 2 years. The lifespan is reportedly limited by potenial leakage of the thermal conductive fluid inside the systems. Apple reportedly fears the fluid could cause damage to consumer's valuables or expensive carpets, which would leave the company exposted to potential lawsuits."

www.appleinsider.com

2. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Guess I bet get the waterproof sheeting out! If this does turn out to be true it is one hell of an over sight on both Apple's and OEM's part.
    Never mind not a lot I can do about it, I think applecare is a must have purchase before the year is out though.

3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

ouch. This is going to hurt real bad for all the 2.5 users. What's even more unfortunate is that they're the crowd who needs the computers most... those of us who work. I wonder what would cause the cooling systems to leak after two years, and not initially... Guess we'll have to see what happens.

4. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

This will indeed hurt those that use them for work most. It could potentially spell big trouble for the freelancers and very small companies who cannot afford to either be without a desktop for a period of time or cannot fork out for a new model on a regular planned bassis.
    By the sounds of it the liquid used may react with the copper pipes over time. This isn't that uncommon quite a lot of high end coolents have this effect. My Dad worked for the scientific division of the railways in the UK and collectively they saw some very nasty corrosive accidents and damage caused by these things.
    If this is a genuine problem and they know what reaction takes place they can treat the problematic parts for future models that just leaves the models that are currently on sale or that have been sold at risk. I can see a big grey warranty hole opening up along the lines of although my mac is no longer covered this problem was created through a design fault so fix it. I think apple would probably agree to fix effected models, still a logistics nightmare though.
    I suspect the problem will be exaccerbated by those that turn there machines off especially for extended periods of time as the coolent will not be moving.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They should probably last longer than the cooling systems in cars, and those typically die due to hoses going bad far after 2.5 years -- and those hoses are in a worse environment than an air conditioned house/office.

As far as electrolysis corroding pipes, it happens in cars also -- but they are now grounding the heater cores and radiators to prevent this.

We may see Apple taking this route as a just in case.

6. TrashCanDan macrumors member

I just read this as well and I was shocked. I bought my 2.5 a little over 3 months ago for my freelance work, thinking I would be set for a few years, now I read this and have to worry about my poor G5 leaking in a couple years! Why would Apple not give a warning on possible failure of the cooling system?

Man am I glad I got AppleCare.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

How difficult (expensive) will it be to replace the cooling system?

8. link92 macrumors 6502

I am massively pissed off. This computer was meant to last for around 6/7 years.

9. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

why don't they coat the copper piping to prevent corrosion... or use a different metal?

10. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

What about liquid cooling systems in PCs? Do they suffer from this problem as well?

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's all just an excuse for Apple to start selling iDiapers to match their massively overpriced iPod socks range! ;)

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If this were true for the PowerMac G5, then it would most certainly be true for liquid-cooled PCs. Quite frankly, I have a hard time giving original Think Secret story any credibility. The PowerMac cooling system is based on automotive technology, but is used in a much less hostile environment. An automotive system lasts way beyond its first owner. I expect Delphi's computer cooling system to be going strong long after I have replaced my G5.

13. TrashCanDan macrumors member

I think you may be on to something... :cool:

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Two Year Lifespan

[​IMG]

Apple is worried, because they don't have a third-party covering an expensive part for the entire AppleCare period.

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's funny

I posted a thread asking about this very question when the 2.5s were announced. We have 3 of them at work...

My fears were pooh-poohed and many people mentioned the automotive comparison. Now, almost everyone's getting twitchy.

Honestly, I won't give this credence till I read something more substantial. Besides, realistically what choice do we have? Keep on using the machines till they drop dead or we come to our 3-4 year upgrade cycle.

16. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Eh, water-cooling is still relatively rare. If a problem did come up, it would have arised in some significant postings; either on legitimate hardware sites or your typical big-name news sites (Anandtech/Xbit/TechReport). Having said that, I only know of one guy (out of alot of people) who even dares to use water-cooling in his PC.

Yeah, companies like Swiftech released the first model just a year or so ago, but to say that it is even remotely widespread would be the a lie. People are still scared (heck, I still am). It also seems that b/c Apple focuses on ABSOLUTE quiet performance (while on the PC side, noise level varies considerably), the same problems might not even be applicable.

Now, its a while since I've seen pictures of the 2.5G5 cooling system, but if you want to make a comparison, compare it to a "typical" PC water cooling package, if you will:

(Swiftech Water cooling kit, review)
    http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njc5

(edit): Upon looking through some of the top OCers @ [H], another brand that is popular is "Danger Den". Again, my expertise is more with air cooling, but taking a few glances at this review, I don't believe that this is simliar to the G5 w/c system:
    http://www.thecrucible.ca/reviews/dd_rbx/

17. toontra macrumors 6502

This is precisely why I (and I suspect many others) skipped the 2.5 revision. It smacked of over-clocking, and (call me old-fashioned but) water and electricity never seemed like ideal partners, no matter how many reassurances you're given!

For the sake of those who bought, though, I hope this turns out to be untrue.

18. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am not sure what they use for the liquid in this system.

But GM used Delphi for research on coolent systems, and with the "Dex-Cool" system, it has a long lifespan inside the vehicles.

I don't use, or have any GM cars, but my VW and Audi have what is called "G12" which is Glycol based, and is promised to last well over 100k Miles in normal use. It is formulated to be easy on the metals inside the cooling system, as well as the engine block.

If the coolent in the G5 is Glycol based, and similar to G12 , and or Dexcool, I would assume it would NOT hurt the metal parts that make up the cooling circuit.

Is there a way to "flush" the coolent inside the G5? I know it sounds strange, but it is the best way to get rid fo the acid that normally builds up in glycol based cooling systems..

19. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Leaking 2.5's

You guys shouldn't be worried at all. I really think this is all FUD.

As a reliability Engineer for a well-known Networking company, the high standards set must be met by designs from OEM's AND internal Engineering projects.

The testing that is done on all the hardware will seriously shock you. google HALT & HASA. This cooling solution is not new. Apple Engineers & Execs would not release a unit which has an expected life time of 2.5 years when they know they may have to warranty it for 3years.

Reliability calculations on some units predict a figure of centuries for some units - no lie. Google MIL-217F. You 2.5 owners are safe.

FireArse

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Thanks for the reassurance. Wouldn't hurt to take out AppleCare when they get past their one year's manufacturers guarantee, I guess. Especially as our crap maintanence contract wouldn't cover something like this...

21. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'm pretty sure if there was a problem like this, Apple would have to cover it even if the computer's warranty was expired. (Much like when car companies issue recalls).

22. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If it's true... right now, this is all speculation. So far, I haven't heard of any problems, but it's still too soon to tell. I mean, look how long fridges work (alright, not the same thing, but still).

Either way, I'd buy AppleCare if you haven't yet.

24. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

Is this information accurate? It sounds somewhat a suicide for Apple to include technology that's known to fail in just two years.

I don't believe this.

25. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

This sounds fairly untrue. Let's see, according the story Apple put in a part that is only guaranteed for 2.5 years in a machine they will likely have to warranty for three(As Applecare is most commonly bought for the highend systems). And Delphi guaranteed a part for 2.5 years when they expect it to only last 2 years? Sorry, I just don't buy that, maybe a small percentage are expected to fail in two years but certainly not the average. If Delphi only expected it to last two years they would not guarantee it for any amount over that.