G5 2.7 vs. 2.0

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MrVegas, Jun 17, 2005.

1. MrVegas macrumors regular

I bought a dual 2.0 recently from CompUSA. I love it. I plan on upgrading RAM from 512 to 2 gig.

I came into a little bit of extra money and I'm wondering if I should have bought the dual 2.7 instead. CompUSA *might* let me trade up, I'm not sure. Should I? Or should I just be happy with the 2.0?

2. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

2.0 will probably be fast enough, but I'm of the belief that you should always buy the best you can afford at the time you buy. Its just more futureproofing.

3. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

which version of the 2.0 did you get?
    if you got the version that is only upgradable to 4gb of ram, then i would probably trade up to the 2.3 and upgrade the ram.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Unless you plan on getting more than 4GB (or 8 someday) of RAM, you should be happy with what you have. You can always upgrade the video card, hard drives, etc as you need it. Then you won't feel so bad when the new Intel Macs come out in 2 years. Your machine will still be fine for at least another 3 years, probably more like 5 or 6. Don't forget the 2.7s use liquid cooling too, so who knows how long that will last without needing to be replaced. Play with the dual 2 for awhile, I'm sure you'll find it fast enough.

You could always spend the money on AppleCare too. You probably won't need it, but who knows.

5. MrVegas thread starter macrumors regular

I was curious about the video card. Is the video card that's in there now pretty beefy? What are some of the upgrade options?

p.s.
    right now my CTX flat panel display looks pretty fuzzy with the G5

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If you're talking about the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra (check in system information if you don't know), it's not bad for the basic stuff, but it depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to play games or do anything heavily GPU related like 3-D stuff, I'd at least get an ATI 9600 from someplace like OWC or a X800T if you can afford it. Though I'd wait for the next card, the X850 I believe as it's supposed to be faster. If nothing else, the price of the others might go down a bit.

As far as the monitor looking fuzzy, you might want to adjust the settings. It shouldn't look fuzzy. If the native resolution is different than what you have it set at, that could also explain the fuzziness.

7. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Do you know when the ati 850 is coming out? Or any other mac video card?

Sorry about this being off topic.