g5 2 ghz vs 2.5 ghz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MBMatt11, Aug 21, 2004.

1. MBMatt11 macrumors newbie

Hi, my mom wants to get a computer, so I can either give her my p4 1.5 ghz with a ti4600 and get a mac or she can get a new computer. At first I was looking at the 2.5 ghz G5 with the educational discount, but it is still a little pricey. How much faster is this G5 than the refurbished old model 2.0 Ghz G5 (with the 9600 pro). That one is only $2000 which seems like it is a steal. I mean will moving around the os feel more responvie on the 2.5 Ghz. Also are both going to be faster than my current pc?

2. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

The important question is: what will you be using the computer for?

3. MBMatt11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to use it for everything. I little gaming, some video editting in the future and all the basics (word processin, email, websurfing). Maybe some photoshop and dreamweaver. The real question is, is the 2.5 Ghz g5 noticably snappier to warrent the extra $700. Is it that much better?

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I would say defintely yes, either would be faster than your 1.5 PC. For what you are doing - basically a little dabbling in a few areas, I would say you are better off with the Dual 2.0 and using some of the saved money for some extra RAM and the software you want to use....oh yeah!

5. MBMatt11 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what I was thinking however I have one more question. Since this is the old top end 2.0 Ghz G5 it says it does not come with panther installed but you can get an uprgade cd. Is this the equivalent of the full version, or anytime I want to reinstall will i need to install jaguar and then panther? Also, does this include i life 04?

6. A Mac Gamer macrumors member

Just got my refurb G5 and love it. Its the 2.0 Ghz with the 9600Pro, so its the same model. Ours did come with Panther installed, and the iLife apps on a dvd disc. Just to let you know. :)

7. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

I'm thinking of getting a refurb too, so I have a question: did the computer seems like it was in new condition when you got it?

Also, have you had any problems with noise from the power supply? I know this was an issue awhile back and I'm not sure whether it's been corrected on the refurbs.

Thanks.

8. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Yes, I think the 2.5 would be overkill unless you've got money to burn.

BTW, I'm working as a graphics professional on a single 1.6 and the thing is very, very fast.

You may want to wait for the g5 iMac in a couple of weeks. I think this may suite your needs perfectly (and it will be more compact - my one complaint about the g5 towers is their monster size).

9. A Mac Gamer macrumors member

Haven't had any issues with the power supply yet. The only problem i had was that the superdrive was mounted too high, so it wouldnt eject. Called apple support and the support was kind of iffy, transfered me to sales when i asked how i could get this repaired. So i just took it to an apple authorized service and they fixed it, an hour later got it back, which was very nice. Stupid problem in the first place. But other then that its great, looks brand new, no stratches, scrapes or anything. Asked the guy at the apple place about how reliable they were, and he said that the major problem was the ram. People buy cheap ram, and it doesnt work like the apple ram does.

Hope that answers any questions you had.

10. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I've heard that refurb is a good way to go... Strange that you got stuck with such a stupid problem though - I would think that the QA would have caught this, as on the Apple site it states that the refurbs are rigorously checked...

BTW, did you buy a Rev. A or Rev. B? And if it was a Rev. A, did it come with 10.3 pre-installed or 10.2.7?

11. A Mac Gamer macrumors member

It's a Rev. A, and it did have 10.3 Panther pre-installed.