G5 (2006 isight) iMac and "high speed" internet issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Hurd111, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Hurd111
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Hello,

I have a late 2006 G5 iMac with isight, and I have been experiencing some issues with my "high speed" internet. The iMac was in the shop for a while getting a new hard drive, and when I got it back, my internet was blazing fast. That lasted about a day and a half. Slowly the speed died down, from 1mb+ per second, to about 160kb per second. What is going on? :confused:

I've had to deal with the slow internet speed for a while (also long before the computer was fixed), but I had never taken action, other than replacing my modem and router.

I have a PC in the house connected though ethernet, so I know its not my airport.

Any help? Thanks. :)

2. iBookG4user
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If your iMac is connected through WiFi, have you tested another computer via WiFi to verify that it is not your router that is the culprit?

3. fa8362
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Connect the Mac via ethernet and see what happens to the speed.

4. Hurd111
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors member

Actually, yes, I did. My bud brought over his Macbook, and found that the internet was slow on his laptop too. :(

5. iBookG4user
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Then it is the router. You said that you had an Airport? Open Airport Utility and select your Airport Router, then go to Base Station>Restore Default Settings. See if that speeds up your internet speeds.

6. Hurd111
    Expand Collapse

I will try this tomorrow.

7. Hurd111
    Expand Collapse

Wow! That sped it up a lot! Thanks! :D

But what do I do if it slows down again? I have a feeling it will. (will it?)