G5 + 2GB = Huge Improvment?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by illegalprelude, Aug 11, 2005.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

hey there you guys. I had quick question in terms of performance.

I was part of the apple switchers last year. I didnt know much about them but my friend showed me the better side so i went out with little research and bought a G5 1.6. (yea, i got fawked....2 weeks later, the duals came out :( ) but oh well, I love my G5.

I have 1GB in her right now and ive been wanting more performance. Do you think going to 2GB will truely make a Big diff? or no.

2. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

i'll let ya know tomorrow when i put 2gb in mine

3. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

Depends entirely on what you're running. I've got a fairly large iTunes library (10,000 songs, 63GB and going from 512GB to 2GB made a big difference in everything else when iTunes is running.

I haven't noticed any real improvement from 2GB to 4GB, but I haven't installed CS2 to start working on this one yet.

If you're running a large iTunes library or video editing or big Photoshop files, yes, it will absolutely make a difference.

4. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

hhmm. how about everyday programs?

I would like to speed up fcp HD for me the most and make iDVD smoother?. other programs are good enough. iTunes is fine (I dont have nearly as big of a library. maybe 4gb at the most)

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Final Cut Pro HD is everyday? :eek:

Basically, more RAM can't make a machine faster. But if your applications and data add up to more than the amout of physical RAM you have, the OS starts paging out to the hard drive like crazy, and that slows the machine down. So by adding 'enough' RAM, you maintain the machine's full speed. The 'enough' level depends on what programs you are using and how many you have open at once.

Somewhere 1 Gb or a bit higher is good for most Photoshop work, digital audio and video tend to want more, depending on what you're doing.

The other thing to think of is the number of sockets in your machine -- 1 in the 1,6 GHz. If you load them all with 512 Mb modules, you'll have to remove some to take the machine beyond 2 Gb total in the future. So consider where you might want to go with it later, when you are deciding.

Although the 1.6 nominally takes PC2700 RAM, you should put in G5-compatible PC3200 modules, they will work and are sometimes less expensive than the PC2700's

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

You shhouldd notice a decent speed increase but i find for normal everyday programs; webbrowsing, mail, itunes etc it won't make much difference once your above 1gb, but if you intend to do RAM intensive tasks you will notice the difference..

SHadOW

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yeah, that's right shadowmoses. More RAM above the 'enough' level makes little or no difference to speed.

8. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

heh CanadaRAM, I guess I worded that poorly. Everyday use was one question, FCP was another.

I dont use FCP everyday but when I do, I want it to run 100%. I live in LA and work in the Film Industry (or moved out here a month ago and im slowly working in it hahahah)

hhmm...For another 1GB, how much would the PC3200 cost. Roughly $200?

Also, on the same subject, does Tiger really make some of the apps run smoother? im still on panther myself

Edit: I think honestly, one of the thing is, being a PC user till last year (just built a pc 3 weeks ago :mad: thing is suppose to be the god of all pc and yea, just have had more problems then I care to. complete burn of $2k) my thing is, I keep looking for reasons of needing a new G5 (not that I have the cash for a duel right now after building my pc) but Im like damn, this thing is getting old but honestly, the computer has had 0 problems and runs like a champ everyday. I really do wanna run it till it just stops working. So another 2 years atleast. im presuming shes gonna run a super longer time too.