G5 and Classic

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by floatingspirit, Feb 21, 2004.

1. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Can a G5 run Classic? If so, then I can run any classic program I wan't on it, right?

After reading the Quark 4.1 and G5 thread, I got confused. Sorry and thanks...

(If I lived in a country with Apple employees who spoke my language I wouldn' bother y'all with silly questions. Thanks though.)
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    You can run any program that works in Classic, anything that needs certain drivers/control panels/routines that try to directly play with the hardware won't work (ie, print & scanner stuff).

Same with files that use certain instructions/modes not supported by the G5 (ie, VirtualPC)

Quark had problems because it needed access to some unsupported stuff, there were some workarounds...

Sites that talk about getting Quark working under OS X & G5s.

Quark has had problems with "Classic" -- sites deal specifically with these problems.

To fully avoid any problems, you need to "Boot OS 9" -- since G5s don't Boot OS 9, you won't be able to get around any bad "Classic" unresolvable problems you may encounter.

Thus the need for some to actually buy an upgrade.
  3. floatingspirit thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
  4. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    It's sure as hell is fast too! I have a g5, and startup on classic takes less time than it takes to load Mozilla.
  5. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Yeah, Classic starts up quite fast these days. It takes about 15 seconds to start on my G4 with Panther, but it took over 30 seconds on my G3 with Jaguar.