G5 announced Jan, Available Feb / Mar

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Ensign Paris, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

2. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Impossible. No way. If they are going to be announced...then they will be available immediately, with maybe only one shipping 2 weeks later.

Why would anyone buy a G4 if you could get a G5 in a month? That would completely cannibalize Apple's sales for the month of January. Forget the waiting part.

-Pete

3. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Suppose so

All I can tell is that it is likely that there will be no G5 in janurary, but in feb or march.

Guy

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

re: impossible

in jan 2002, apple desperately needs to announce the g5 and if they can't ship right away, then have a huge sale on g4s in january to move stock and still hopefully make some profit and not have a cannibalized january

we can't let this whole p4 campaign stomp thru the market winning over new users with their 2 ghz machines selling left and right

steve jobs now needs to back his magic with product because he can't change sales based only on his charisma, and charisma he has but these are lean times

5. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I have to face facts

I am afraid that I don't know what is going to happen.

I think that Apple really need to have atleast one machine over 1.5ghz or atleast 1ghz.

Come Jan. 7th we will know what goin on!

Guy

6. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

it is clear

I think the way things are looking CLEARLY indicates that we will see the G5 AND the G4 BOTH!

THinkabout the rumors of the new iMac.. If steve is indicating that the new thing to come out at the EXPO is going to be an iMac, he has called it 'powerful'.. this tells me it will have a G4 and since it has a G4, it will ship with a SuperDrive in the high-end model. Does this not make sense!?

AND since the consumer iMac will be getting the G4.. (APOLLO) then this makes room for the new line of PowerMacs to ship with the new G5 (true 64-bit) processor.

I really think this is what we will see. It is possible, and likely, that the G5 will be announced only, and not shipped until February, just as many products have been in the past, but I do believe we will see an announcement of the new iMac G4 and PowerMac G5 lines.

7. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

oh yeah...

you can quote me on this after the expo! i would bet this is going to happen.

8. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

I see. A G4 Apollo iMac with 15" LCD AND a superdrive?? And exactly how much would this "consumer product" cost there pal?

-pete

9. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

well there buddy...

if you read my post. i said the high-end iMac G4 would have the SuperDrive.. not them all..

10. falc420 macrumors newbie

Nah...

Hello everybody,

We might see a speed bump of the G4 Power Macs, and maybe the G5, but I am pretty sure the main focus of the January announcements will be the new iMac.

I was at CompUSA (aka CompAbu$er) today and noticed they had only one blue iMac, in a box, on the floor. All of the display iMacs were gone also. All of the other products appeared to be in stock, and they even had an iPod display. This is in Des Moines, Iowa, where in the past, new products would take at least a few days, if not a week or more, to hit the shelves.

Let's hope that Apple's been able to clear their inventory as well as they did here, if indeed that is what happened.

Colin

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

des moines

No offense to falc420...

but u mean to tell me there's an Apple Store in Des Moines, Iowa and none in New Orleans?!

12. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

13. yanny macrumors newbie

Because there is a price difference. I think Apollo G4 and G5 will feature at the same time in the PowerMac range. Low-end will have Apollo G4, high-end will have G5.

I don't know about the new Imac though, whether it will be Sahara G3 or just G4, I hope it will be G4.

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Re: des moines

oops...

I guess I was more tired than I thought! ;)

15. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

Will you never learn?

How is it that we can be so badly let down from rumors as recently as 6 months ago, and come right back for more punishment??

I swear, some Mac lovers are masochists.

16. samy85114 macrumors regular

If Apple are going to release G5 on Juanuary, they will make it available on keynote day or by 2 weeks. as someone said, if you know that G5 gonna be available do u think you gonna purchase a mac 1 month before his coming... i dont think so! you would be attracted to buy the latest one and surely not the oldest...
    But there,s only one thing i hope the most... G5 in january!

I thought about it yesterday, is it possible that Apple put the G4 down in the iMac to keep towers for G5... it,S not impossible.. after all! And they gonna change their laptops in the next few months, as they did before with iBook and Powerbook.

Tell me your opinion about that.

17. kaneda macrumors regular

G5

Imac G4 will be available at SF Keynote, not the G5. That would be available mid-Feb.

The imac G4 does not come with superdrive, it's still CDR-DVD. And the model speed 733mhz-1.2ghz.

G5 offers 1.2ghz-1.6ghz. Superdrive for all models. The high-end model is comparable to SGI workstation.

18. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

My prediction for MWSF2002...

"After this morning's announcements, I have to say that the Mac is falling apart. Here I am expecting 1.6GHz G5s, and all we have are these stupid Apollo G4s, no higher than 1.13GHz! Alright, so we have LCD iMacs, which ain't bad, but I need a workstation. What the hell kind of an Expo was this? You're really going down Apple!"

"Apple, you suck! I was gonna buy a new Mac this new year, but now? Forget it. I'm gonna think different alright Mr. Jobs!"

"1.13GHz G4s? That's it? I feel so ripped off. I'm not even buying a new Mac now. And I still gotta listen to my Wintel buddy talking about his 1.6GHz Athlon."

19. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

re: my predictions...

Folks, I hope I'm wrong. Few people will be happier than I if I am. But we need to be realistic here, and nobody is.

20. falc420 macrumors newbie

realism and retail

Kethoticus -- I'd say that my earlier post is a lot more realistic than some of the other ones. *grin* What do you think?

Eyelikeart...I wish we had an Apple Store in Des Moines, Iowa. The CompUSA here is the epitome of pathetic! Yes, they have been improving, but it is still truly a sad sight.

I'd totally understand your shock if Des Moines had an Apple Store. But know this: I would immediately arm wrestle you for 'custody' of an Apple Store here. ;-)

Here's to the hope that Apple can flush out their channel inventory and make room for some great new Macs!

Colin

21. kaneda macrumors regular

What Announcement??

Where did you get that info about G4's 1.14ghz!! that is whacked! what the hell did Apple do last 6 months? masterbating!

By next year, Apple will fall further behind to PC. They better get their head out of their (_|_) and make some serious products here! We don't need ipod! We need a faster personal PC, and making Powerful laptop will not gain much of Personal PC market.

Next year, I think more and more people will convert to PC. If it is really true that their next desktop will be 1.14ghz and summer I guess dual 1.14ghz...I will definitely get a PC and that run WIN XP.

this is what I am going to get.
    http://www.alienware.com

22. Kid Red macrumors 65816

annoucement..

Chill, his post is about "the morning after the announcement" meaning it hasn't happened yet. It's a joke on what he thinks may happen.

23. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

d'oh

Can u all stop talking about the stuff that apple will or will not bring out soon.
    especialy persons who say: I hate speculating but..... and then AGAIN a whole nonsense story begins.
    Just wait! only if you have REAL rumors let me hear.
    That's what this site is called: Macrumors.
    not Macidiottalk

24. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

re: my sarcasm

Thanx Kid Red. I'm glad someone gets my meaning here.

And as for falc20, I dunno man. I really don't think we're gonna see G5s just yet—although like I said, I'll be the first to chear if there are. And you wanna talk retail problems? There still ain't an Apple store in the largest city in the country yet. (Although there are some great Mac places in NY, like RCS and J&R—although I'm not sure if the latter is open for business after the attacks, it's that far south on the island).

25. dantec macrumors 6502a

Unfortuantely...

I think Apple will stick a 800mhz G5 in their lowest powermac. Then the 1.2 and 1.5 models will ship a little later, (about 2 weeks) and the dual will come, the following month.

I just hope we don't have a catastrophy as with the G4's. Does anyone remember the speed dumping experience?