G5 Antenna for Airport Extreme (other options?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RiggedProductio, Jul 10, 2006.

1. RiggedProductio macrumors newbie

Hello,

So, I recently moved to a new apartment and found that my macbook gets pretty good wireless reception from one of the neighbors in my building. Unfortunately, I lost the small Airport "t" antenna that came with my G5, so either I buy it for $19+NY Tax or go with another solution.

I was wondering if it was worth the extra dollars to get something like this
    http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...Directional_Antenna_for_Apple_Airport_Extreme

(ie. Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna for Apple Airport Extreme
    Mfg Part #: HAI7SIA)

OR, if the signal boost will do nothing, since I'm looking for it to go through walls etc.

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

You might want to call up Apple and see if they will send you a replacement. I called them up and asked if I could buy one, since I, too, lost mine, and they just ended up shipping me one free of charge. My computer was under the 1-year original warranty, and perhaps that made a difference, but perhaps not. They didn't seem too concerned with trying to "sell" one to me, which is what I called up for.

EDIT: Oh, and if you do this, you will have to mention 80,000 times that you're using a Power Mac, as they stop listening after you say "Airport" and assume you're on a portable. :)