G5 at San Francisco

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by samy85114, Dec 20, 2001.

1. samy85114 macrumors regular

I heard from a teacher at my college that he was discussing with someone from Apple in Toronto... and as I supposed..., he make me understand that something big will be annonced at san fracisco on january, 7, after much discussing, he told me about the arrival of the G5. I tought he was kiddin, but he didnt. Before that day, i was looking for G5 rumors, but now, im pretty sure... it,s gonna happen. and i trust him!!! For 5 years , we are working together ...
    and as you can see, i'M pretty happy about that news, it,S not a rumors :)

But is it possible that this guy from Apple could had lied??? could be ! but i hope not

merry xmas

2. mbusry macrumors newbie

G5's ARE coming!

I was speaking with my sales rep and I ask her if she had any info about MWSF and any anouncements from Jobs. She spoke with their Apple people and told me they we being told there would be, at least, G5's. These machines might top at 2+GHz, but probably be between 1.2 and 1.8GHz. I cannot wait!!!!!

3. fukuhela macrumors member

Don't think so

I'm most certain that Apple won't release the G5 - just call it a hunch. But with the G4 Apollo and a faster g# from IBM i don't see any room for a G5. Though I would love to. The only possible way I can see it happen is if the G4 Apollo is called G5 :-(

I Hope I'm wrong

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

more G4

I'm betting faster G4's....

don't think we'll see G5 till later on in the year...

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

G5 NOT LEAKING

in my neck of the woods, i am sure i would have heard something about a g5, sure there is plenty of new imac talk and other speed bumps, but with thousands of apple employees, something would have to leak and so far, nothing i would consider solid

could that many people in a company that has all types of people keep that type of secret

macrumors flushed out the firewire ibook, the cube, the mp3 player ipod, the g4, the dual usb ibook, os x, illustrator 9, and other stuff with uncanny accuracy

but what about the g5 with all the conflicting reports?

i wish it were true but the closer we get to jan 7, the more i doubt a g5 ready to ship and at most, i think, it will be announced to be shipped 90 days later...but a ready to ship full fledged tested and approved g5, i kind of doubt it but i hope, i hope i am wrong

i have always wanted a little more than apple has put out in 1999, 2000, and 2001

1998 with the imac blew me away to no end

i hope apple will blow me away to that level again but it would take two things

1) an lcd imac topping out at 1 GHz
    2) any form of a ready to ship G5

if only one of those happens, i still give apple an "a" for effort

i would hate to see the pc world reach 3 ghz before apple can come out with that lcd imac and g5...we all know that non-mac educated folk as consumers can be easily duped into buying pcs

and for the first time, even the worst mass produced pcs (e-machines and compaq) are very able to be fine machines...but not as FINE as any apple machine, of course

[Edited by jefhatfield on 12-20-2001 at 08:11 PM]

6. samy85114 thread starter macrumors regular

G4 apollo great too!

I know about this, me too i heard so much about the apollo G4 and its possible release in SF, but my opinion is, This processor ( G4) is too old , it,S on the market for about 3 years... well, ... it,S time to change, and i think that the best moment to make that big change could be in 2 weeks ( almost ), that's why i'm trusting to one who told me that, because it,S possible , Isn,t It ????

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

re: more G4

if that's the case, then let's get them at 1 GHz and up already

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

1 Ghz

I would like to see something that would run head to head to peecee users...

We need something to make them see the light since we know the "real truth."

he he he...

9. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

apollo = no g5

notice how all the g5 rumors disappeared after moto annouced the apollo. the comment by moto that was most telling is the "the g4 is has a lot of life in it." makes me think they wont be stamping the apollo a g5 and the "real" g5 will be a long way off. my favorite story telling on this board has been g5 powermacs apollo cubes g3 imacs. pretty nice story, wont happen but wouldnt it be neat? i think a lot of us were pretty upset when we heard about the apollo specifically because it sounded the death toll for g5s in january or anytime soon.

i sure as hell hope apple proves me wrong though. because all the promises of a big surprise in sf will just dissappoint me if the "big surprise" is a new imac. dont think i'll even attend this year. we were originally told the g5 would be out in march 2001... (maybe it was supposed to deput with osx?) moto seems to be really holding apple back.

10. joey j macrumors regular

Re: apollo = no g5

AmbitiousLemon>notice how all the g5 rumors disappeared after moto
    annouced the apollo. the comment by moto that was most telling is the
    "the g4 is has a lot of life in it."

Marketeering? Since when has that been `telling'? Motorola's not exactly
    going to say that the G4 is dead, they're still going to want to sell lots
    of them. I could rant about how many of you read marketing-speak as actual
    insight but I won't, I'm hungry...

> makes me think they wont be stamping the apollo a g5 and the "real" g5
    will be a long way off.

Predictions predictions. How far off? It can't be further than NY, Apple
    would be incompetent to not have made provisions for the G4's replacement
    after ~3 years.

> i think a lot of us were

Do not try to speak for the majority.

> pretty upset when we heard about the apollo specifically because it
    sounded the dea th toll for g5s in january or anytime soon.

What sort of logic is that? (that isn't a rhetorical question). Can't
    Apple ship Apollos in the imacs?

> we were originally told the g5 would be out in march 2001... (maybe it
    was supposed to deput with osx?)

I recall mid-2001.

> moto seems to be really holding apple back.

And yet when Motorola starts closing its incompetent fabs, people start
    whingeing and making bad-news prognostications. Riddle me the answer to
    that one.

11. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

No G5's

I have read a lot of things, and I don't know where you are getting your info from but I don't think G5. I was just thinking about this: What if Apple had Motorola announce the Apollo G4 so that It would cause speculation that there would be no G5, but what if he did that just to throw us off?

12. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Re: No G5's

Intersting theory! However, like people have said, rumours about the G5 really have disappeared over the last month or so.

13. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

For cripes sakes people.

All of these message boards are saying the same thing. One half of us are G4 7460 predictors, and the other half ambitious G5 predictors.

But I fear the bottom line comes down to (as it always does) PRICE.

I just dont see the 64bitG5's being ready because Apple would have to charge up the ass for the chip. Just look at the Itanium systems in IBM workstations. Its still well above 10,000.00. If this chip, the G5 is very similar, I just dont see them being able to produce it with the typical Apple flair for less than 14,000. WHo the hell is going to pay for that? If you guys gont believe me, do some seraching for the Itanium processor at intel, or look at the IBM Intellistation Z workstations. 16 grand minimum. These arent your grandma's pentium IV's we are taking about here. These are big, bad, very new systems. It will be at least 8 months till we see them.

G5's? I just dont think so. I SO hope I am wrong, just like all of my fellow 7460 predictors.

Oh, and the G4 is old and tired? What? What the hell? Do you even OWN an Apple? God. The Dual 800's are freaking unbelievable. I hate it when people knock somthing just because its been out for more than 2 months.

And listen to jefhatfield. He works in Silicon Valley, I think he would have heard about the G5 if it had been rumored.

Sorry Im so nasty about this, but we've been arguing about this for weeks now.

14. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I agree that we are getting carried away with the G5! However, the register did say that the G5 had gone into mass production! Of course they could be wrong, but maybe not!! I think the G4 is a great chip but a G5 is even better!

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

re: speaking for the majority

first of all, congrats agreenster on SM and congrats in advance to joeyj who is almost there

isn't funny how, from what i have seen, the mac world of users seem to speak in a more unified voice than the pc world

many, if not most (majority), want the same things right now...G5 and LCD iMac

it seems a safe bet when almost any mac user says something that has been heard here more than a couple of times that they are usually speaking for the majority

good or not, i have personally never seen such a group of sheep as the mac community who love their myths and hate anything that has to do with facts

i was one of them until i became a pc techie and saw that there is another world outside of macs and the pc machines do have a lot to offer...at the same time i am not saying bill gates is innocent of any high crime he has been accused of by the us government

that being said, macs still do rule but we are losing the speed war and the business war because unfortunately, when in comes to survival, it is the pc side which are able to truly think different and mutate and squirm their way in and out of markets untouched

if the IT market is on the rise, the pc companies gain ground due to their sheer size but more importantly, if the IT market falls, their usually superior tactical and strategic methods put them further ahead of apple...ie) they lose but not as much as apple does

i am not saying any of this to say that i dislike apple products but i am saying that apple needs to use their innovation that they have always used for their products and put some of that genius into their overall business and operational management strategy...this way books like infinite loop won't be suggested reading in mba schools and the harvard business review won't refer to other business failures as a fiasco reminiscent of apple...i also don't like how the business term "rollercoaster" is most referred to when looking at apple, and i don't like how steve jobs is referrred to as the "mecurial" ceo, as if he gets hot and then cold...one minute he's stevie wonder, the next minute he is a bum...steve, did anybody tell you about the concept of follow through?

you can shoot the prettiest three pointers from the outside but damn it, pass the ball, rebound, and get inside near the hoop

just look at all the posts here in the last few months, too many of us are asking for more from apple inc...so it's time for them to amaze us and more importantly, new users, with january's hopefully new lineup of gear

rant over/hatman essay done

my 2 cents

16. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

What I see is that there are a lot of Apple people out there because looks like everybody knows one.

Faster G4 no G5 for San Francisco, may be new iMacs.

17. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Hatfield, I think you hit it on the head.

I do love apple--they have the coolest damn computers in the world. The motorola PowerPC chip is a good chip, and Apple knows they have to battle the megahertz myth. Hell, intel has to do the same thing with their 800mHz itaniums.

But the fact is, they are losing. Man, it sucks to say that, but they are getting their jocks handed to them as they walk off the court. They may be one of the hottest ball players in the nation, but they just cant get off of this cold streak and score points. Yes- They have to start making some damn layups if they are going to get out of this slump.

It is definately a new era for computers, and especially Apple users. There was a day when the Apple computer beat a PC hands down in EVERY single aspect of the computer. Those days have long since passed, and we Apple users are tired of not only being the minority, but seeing other computers better than ours.

Lets not forget, however, that the Apple style is still second to none.

But hey, on the court, that means you've got the shoes but not the moves.

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

!

or in other words

we got the meat but not the motion

wait, that came out wrong...but you know what i mean

big hat, no cattle

19. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Have gun will travel?

well that didnt make any sense, but it rhymed.

20. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Not so.....

Historically Apple has been ignoring market trends, relying on being ahead of the curve and having a solid base of repeat customers. However once Steve returned, he had been out in the world and had learned. Macs began to pull themselves out of ten years of design mire and innovation accelerated. Apple's small size allows it to "turn" on a dime where other companies have to slow down and re-tool. The PC market's total mass is a major disadvantage if you want to make the platform evolve quickly.

21. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

another well said post mischief!

It's no surprise of how true your posting was considering that Apple Computer has been the study of numerous Business Schools for years...

But I do like the idea of Apple and it's followers being the rebels in the industry!

22. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Thanks Mischief

Always bringing us back home, arent ya? Whenever one Apple man starts to wander away, here comes michief along to gently steer us back home again.........

Okay, enough of that

I know Apple is a business phenomenon, and they can change on a dime, but that doesnt change the fact that Apple users want better computers than PC users, and its been too long that PC's are sometimes (in some aspects) better. We just want a bit more muscle to use I think, and we'd be happy.

Other than that, I completely agree that its fun to be the minority, and I dont want Apple to EVER become the majority. Bump up the market share by 10-15 and Id be satisfied. The only reason I say that is because 5% is too awfully close to 0%. I need a buffer to let me know they arent folding any time soon. (well, they havent in the last 20 years, that ought to be enough, but sometimes the scare of 96 brings back bad memories)

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

15 to 20 percent

that would be a comfortable number but steve jobs is not the guy who can take us there

every time he gains a few hundred thousand users with a great product he spearheads, he loses that many just months later with another product he spearheads

it is like we have a good steve jobs and a bad steve jobs

give me the steve jobs who came out with the imac and ibook, not the steve jobs who came out with flower power and released os x six months too early

with the good steve jobs on a consistent level for several years, we could reach fifteen percent, but that is just not the nature of steve jobs now or the steve jobs who was fired from apple in the mid-80s

when business school wants to see a success, they look at bill gates...if they want to see a blunder, they look to delorean or steve jobs (both part time business phenoms who have a tendency to self destruct or lose steam at the most crucial times)

if that were not true, then why do so many posters here complain about apple inc dragging their feet on the lcd imac, small imac and ibook screens, combo drive for tibook, the g5, 1 ghz speed, os x updates, etc

it's like by the time apple delivers, we have been waiting too long and get mad at apple's ceo (and he really can't take all the blame in reality...it is like an acquaintance who once worked for ibm who switched to apple who says it's so fun working at apple because they get to try out a lot of new ideas and don't have the pressure of trying to meet deadlines as strictly as ibm or watch the bottom line like ibm, it is, like she quoted, not anything like a business

well, i guess that explains ibm being bigger than apple in the personal computer field even though apple had a six year head start on the concept...remember, ibm made adding machines, calculators, and mainframe computers with no inkling of a home machine (same goes for hp) and even when the pc giants entered the field, it was still a pet project at best

when david packard retired near monterey, i met him in the 80s at ace hardware and what he talked about was the calculator and its sales at hp, not the personal computer

windows 95 was when the pc world gained the truly unsurpassable lead in the personal computer field and before that, apple still had the chance to regain the lead...but some people still think apple can again be number one

i always make sports analogies and here is another...apple is like the san francisco giants landing contracts with great pitchers and hitters, winning their division, winning the national league pennant, but unable to clinch the big one...the world series

or apple is like the buffalo bills or minnesota vikings, both going to four super bowls each, and in eight chances, both teams not being able to win one of those matches

the reason scully couldn't recover apple's high market share was because he didn't fire steve jobs early enough and apple inc's biggest mistake was to make steve jobs the ceo after he was just the interim ceo where he should have stayed

he was hired to whip the company back into shape which is what steve jobs is good at, but his entire business history shows that he is not in it for the long term and the more reposibility he doles out to one of his projects, the better that company does

if jobs were at pixar every day and tried to be the director producer of every movie that great company puts out, he would run it into the ground

steve jobs is the world's best relief pitcher or pinch hitter, but he is not a full time ceo

so i am not saying he is bad all around, he is a short term marketing genius and a visionary for the field

[Edited by jefhatfield on 12-22-2001 at 12:38 PM]

24. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Only 2 ways

There are only two ways that Apple could release the G5 at MWSF:

1) Create an entirely new product line (a mid-range computer) so you would have the iMac for the consumers, the G4 for the more techy/rich consumers, and the G5 for the pros. I'm not sure how the prices would work, because right now, a low end G4 is barely more expensive than a high end iMac.

2) A slightly different way of doing it would be to make the low end pro models G4s and the high end ones G5s.

The iMac (which I'm almost positive will be LCD) is going to have IBM's Sahara chip (750fx).
    The 7460 (Apollo, or G4++) is going to be released. Motorola confirmed this. Apple would have to be stupid not to use it in something.
    So it's a bit tricky to see where the G5 would fit in.

25. spikey macrumors 6502a

Apple have time to release the G5. No other 64 bit chip is developing very fast.
    The sledgehammer is continually being delayed and the itanium isnt going anywhere in a hurry.
    So they do have about half a year in hand over the 64 bit competition. They can afford to delay it.

Not sure about the 32 bit chips, the athlon isnt scaling very fast. People are getting bored of P4s with high Hz. So apple have a bit of time to manouver and see how the market goes.

Why dont apple sell the imac with both the G4 and G3?
    They could offer both chips and let the consumer decide which they want to buy. This would be like a built to order sort of idea.