G5 - audio question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Diatribe, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Hi,

I'm looking into purchasing a G5 as soon as the updates are out... whenever that is :rolleyes:
    Now there is that one question that I have. Will I be able to connect my Stereo to my G5 over the toslink as well as some regular speakers over speaker jack? And if I can, will I be only able to use one at a time, or does the toslink even overrule the speaker jack entirely?
    What I want is this: Connect both my stereo and my speakers to my G5 and let the Speakers be default and my Stereo only when I turn it on and then have it both running.
    Since my Stereo is in another room, this would come in very handy.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jamall macrumors regular

A program called Detour from Rogue Amoeba lets you specify different output sources for different applications, so you can drive USB speakers in your bedroom with iTunes, system alerts with the headphone jack, and DVD audio through the toslink, all at the same time.

3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

4. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

The toslink & jack outputs on the G5 are both on the same device, so you can't run different outputs to each one. Sorry, while Detour is a good app, you can't use it for this.

However, to answer the original question, you can run both the speaker/headphone out and the digital out at the same time. It's just a checkbox in the System Preferences Sound prefpane (at least according to the technote).

5. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Thanx for the answers.

Yeah, this is what I wanted to do, have both of them playing at the same time. This way I can have music playing in 2 rooms.
    Great.

6. jamall macrumors regular

Sorry for the incorrect info, I assumed the toslink output had its own controller.

7. Opteron macrumors 6502

Is "toslink" the optical audio out?

just clarifing

8. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

9. Opteron macrumors 6502

ok, now that I know toslink is the optical audio out.

Yes, The set up you propose is most feasable, and might I add; somewhat disirable.