G5 before athlon 5 and pentium 5

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, May 12, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

we got the G4 out before intel's pentium 4 and amd's strangely named mobile athlon 4

...but the way things seem right now, will we get our G5 out before intel releases a pentium 5 or amd releases an athlon 5?

consumers are not too smart and little things like processor names could give us the edge, for i would hate to see us bring out the G5 after intel's future pentium 5!

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Couldn't the AMD Athlon XP also be referred to as the Athlon 5? Or are you just referring to the mobile offerings??

Personally, I don't care what intel releases next. I can almost gurantee that they will recall the chips withing two months of releasing them. Just as they did for the pee3 and pee4 chips. I will be interested in seeing what AMD has for their next generation chip, since I have heard that it have an initial speed of 4.4GHz +/-. I have never heard of AMD recalling any chips (at least not over the past 3-4 years). Never mind the fact that they produce better chips that cost much less money. Check the price of the fastest pentium 4 and then the AMD XP2100+. The difference is about $400, which makes AMD's offering even better.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

To be G5 or not to be G5?

I had to chuckle when I read this. The track record for the intel chips speaks for itself, but a 4.4 GHz AMD chip is a scary thing. If they pull this off in a decent time frame it would be a huge blow to Apple.

In the other thread - I think it was in the article discussion about the lack of a G5 - someone mentioned that Apple is waiting for the market to be ready for the introduction of a new chip. Pardon me, but waiting for what market? If Apple doesn't get on the ball soon, they'll be left in the dust for good. The Macs have been playing catch up of over a year, this is not something to be proud of. Regardless of what Intel and AMD have up their sleeves, Apple has to get something new out soon. I'm still hopefull, but if MWNY is as much a dissapointment as some say, I'll be pissed.

Sorry to rant, but sometimes you just need to.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The next chip from AMD isn't slated for release for between one and two years from now. It is still in the design stages, so we really don't have anything rock solid.

I would hope that the G5 comes out before the next generation of chips from both intel and AMD get released. I have mentioned before that I will never get an intel system, as long as AMD is still producing chips.