Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TastyOther

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Chaddesley Corbett
I want to fit the Bluetooth kit to my G5 (Rev. A, 2.0GHz dual) - and of course I've noticed that new G5 models get Bluetooth 2.0 +EDR.

Same points on the motherboard? Anyone looked into it? I'm not going to get the original module if the module from a new G5/iMac G5 (IIRC from searching they are the same sub-boards) will physically fit and work, after all!

Just added Airport Extreme finally, just so my G5 doesn't have to be wired.

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Are you talking a about the new revision C iMacs with the isight? I'm not sure if they use a differrent part that won't fit. Yours is a Rev A that had a BTO option of Bluetooth 1.1 which you did not get. However the Rev B. iMacs, the last ones that were still fat and did not have the isight camera came standard with Bluetooth 2.0+EDR. Because they are the same design as yours, if you can get a hold of one of the modules that were used in the Rev B it should work and you'd get 2.0+EDR!

TastyOther

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Chaddesley Corbett
finalcoolman said:
Are you talking a about the new revision C iMacs with the isight? I'm not sure if they use a differrent part that won't fit. Yours is a Rev A that had a BTO option of Bluetooth 1.1 which you did not get. However the Rev B. iMacs, the last ones that were still fat and did not have the isight camera came standard with Bluetooth 2.0+EDR. Because they are the same design as yours, if you can get a hold of one of the modules that were used in the Rev B it should work and you'd get 2.0+EDR!

I have a PowerMac G5 Rev. A dual; but apparently the BTO module for this and the iMac G5 was the same component.

If what you're saying is how I understand it, the midplane/logicboard for the iMac G5 Rev. B is the same as the Rev. A in many ways, and perhaps the Bluetooth module will fit and provide Bluetooth 2.0/EDR.

Plenty of people appear to be selling the Bluetooth 1.2 module as specified for the PowerMac G5, but I want Bluetooth 2.0 if I can have it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.