G5 box design: step backward

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by elmimmo, Jun 24, 2003.

1. elmimmo macrumors 6502

Apr 18, 2002
    Am I the only one that, besides any aesthetic consideration, thinks that the new design is a step backward.

My main concern is what (being a Windows user) I admired more of a G3/G4 case: the absolute tidyness and accessibility of a "drop down motherboard". The way how drives and PCI cards stayed on one place (inside the case) and how the on-board stuff on another (in the completely open ouside of it). Nowhere I have seen that the G5 case opens the same way. in fact it seems (internally) quite the same as my now aging (now? :) ) Pentium 233 where you just pop out a lateral of it and start longing for longer fingers.

A minor but is also the lack of space for a second 5 1/4" bay. Or did I miss it?
  2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

May 1, 2003
    I agree and disagree with your thoughts on the subject. I hold off on bashing the case design untill I see it in real life, and try to add ram and another hard drive, it's probably not that hard to work on.

P.S. the one optical drive bay does kind of suck, but I don't remeber that last time I copied a CD from one drive to the other, that's just me.
  3. Mblazened macrumors regular

Dec 20, 2002
    The Valley
    well, we'll find out when we see it. Replacing a part like the logic board looks like it will take an hour. Not very serviceable, from what i can glean from the pics.
  4. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    There is another thread on this topic.

The case is maybe a little smaller than the current PMs?

BTW, is it just me, or is Apple deliberately not showing any mouse, keyboard or display on any of its pages relating to the G5 system?
  5. Jesus on OSX macrumors member

Apr 29, 2003
    I seriously hate the tiny holes texture in the front.

It's so unattractive. I might have to drape a towel on it once I buy it.
  6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    it is a sterile looking design, the machines are going to rock! but it looks are not. 1984 is upon us and has taken over apple computer. It is growing on me, but i love the clear look. Well maybe the latest statements from apple about motorola means faster g4's for the upgrade market? and the consumer line now that the pro line starts at 1.6 970. any ideas what the next imac will be? 1.25? 1.42?
  7. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, Ca
    What I'm even more interested in is the fact that there are absolutely no pictures of the back of this machine. Even the Quicktime VR model stops before you see the back of it. Why can't we just see it?
  8. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    i think they should have had brushed metal on the front, instead of the grill look. 1 drive sucks. 2 hard drives suck although you can get big sata hard drives. optical audio is badass, especially for audio people, makes it drool worth. front ports are nice. still my favorite thing of the day was new ichat and isight.

9. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    You do understand the the holes are there to promote airflow for cooling, right? If you put a towel over it, you'll be able to bake cookies in the optical drive. Mmm... PowerCookies! :rolleyes:
  10. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    Huh? Right from Apple.com. Took me about 5 seconds to find it.
  11. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    it appears that all the "picture" are just cheap photoshop images. i haven't actually seen a legitimate photo of the new powermacs except on thescreensavers last night. and believe me, the case looked hundreds of times better than the images online.
  12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    It is a bit odd at the lack of extra hard/optical drives - I'll wager that the next rev or two down the road we'll see them back again - also going to duals in all the PowerMac models when the G5 goes to the iMac.

And if they can pull out 3.0 GHz by next year that's going to crank....:D

13. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2003
    The grill look is almost 100% due to airflow. It would look nice if it were uniform. The squares on the grill (ports, optical drive, PCIX holes, fans) really show bad design. If maybe the drives had little holes or it it were completely at the top, maybe...

It's just the break up of the uniform dots which make it look bad.
  14. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    i like the enclosure. it's clean, post-modern, and i think it will age well.

regarding the inside:

i have 2 HDs in my g4 tower. i have no plans on putting in any more.

i have 1 optical drive. i have no plans on putting in another.

how many people here actually have more than 2 HDs and/or more than 1 optical drive?
  15. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    Re: G5 box design: step backward

The thing is aesthewtically unappealing to me, and i think the lack of 2 optical drive spaces <5.25''> indicates Apple's mission statement of, guys do what we want you to. I am happy that now us mac users can enjoy much faster computers, but honestly, at the expense of what?
  16. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    I disagree with all that hate this design, it's the best design yet. Take a look at the profiles, it's the cleanest design for the powermac, much more so than the bulky shiny plastic and cooling should be so much better now. Trust me it will grow n you and in a few years you will realize how dated the G4 design is/was. And to me it looks like everything will be quite easy to get to in the case.
  17. kungfu macrumors regular

Jan 21, 2002
    Personally I love the new case.. its simple, elegant, clean... the cooling system is awesome, the front ports are awesome. Everything about it is great.

And furthermore, I would never use more than 500 gigs of hd space on my primary system.. if you need more than that, you probably have enough money to buy an Xserve raid, which is supported by the fibre channel card. also, I never need more than one optical drive. I realize that its nice to have a fast cd burner in addition to a dvd burner, but the superdrive is always getting better.

By no means would I call this a step back.
  18. bennyek macrumors regular

Mar 10, 2002
    The O.C.
    I use 4 HDs and superdrive and Combo drive. In my opinion it is a step back in design and functionality.
  19. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    It's what the first G4 should have looked like, so it's a step... sideways. I never liked the G3/G4 "bubble"... to ungainly and murder to have in a rack when using as a server. I'll wait to see one in person, but it lookes pretty cool to me.
  20. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    what do you use them for?
  21. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

Jan 1, 2002
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    i thought the same at first so i understand your confusion.

i've seen no pictures of the top, which bothers me because it looks like it could be that metal mesh stuff (which i like on the front and back)

number one rule of computer cases:
    upward facing surfaces must be flat and uncomplicated

dust looks horrible

that's the only problem i see with the mesh (on the front and back),
    air is constantly moving through the front and back so LOTS of dust will get stuck there. sucks

but the abolute BEST thing about the case is the FLAT sides (Godsend!)
    the g3 and g4 cases were awesome but the fact that the sides were curved really ruined the functionality of them for me. i cant imagine if all the insides didn't come out on the door so that you had to turn it over on its curved side (eeww!)
    can you say "CRACK!!"?

i like the new case and i think it's cool that apple does major case revisions when they get new processors
  22. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002
    Re: G5 box design: step backward

seeing as how i havent opened a G5 yet i couldnt give you my honest opinion.:rolleyes:
  23. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Apr 11, 2002

I was just thinking the same thing myself today. Just think about how much dust will get trapped on the components inside with all of that airflow.
  24. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002

it breaks up the uniformity of the back side of the computer? where all your cables are gonna be bunched up? am i hearing you right?
  25. jihad the movie macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2003
    Smugtown, NY

The rumor that stated that there were two PowerMac models, the "222" and the "666" could this just be the 222, and later, when they hit 3.0, that 3.0 be the 666 with an additional drive bay and PCI-X slot? Just wondering, as it was mentioned before.