Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jello

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Vancouver
Hi

I am literally hanging by a thread, cash in hand, ready to buy a DP 1.8. But of course I'm also getting an ulcer thinking about the anticipated Rev 2.

First off, I'll be using the G5 to record audio and run midi, with Logic 6. Mostly audio tracks w plug-in efx. So any opinions from experienced users would be appreciated re: whether I really NEED to wait for a DP 2.0 or 2.2 or would a DP 1.8 be more than enough CPU to run a home studio for the next few years.

Second, advice on Apple release patterns: If for example they announce something in the last week of Jan, when would one typically expect the machines to actually ship? I know there are a lot of variables, but I still have to ask, cuz I'm thinking now that if I wait for this new Rev I still may not have a G5 to play with until March . . .

Help! and TIA!

jello

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
From all the information I've seen on three different rumor sites it all adds up to a G5 update on January 20th, which is only days away... I am waiting with money in hand for these updates. (I've already purchased JBL Invaders and a revolution 7.1 sound card in anticipation.)
A dual 1.8 would definitely last a few years, but why pay the same amount for less when you could wait only 5 days now and get more? I'm waiting, and you should, too.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Release Dates

Rumor sites have stated that 2.2 and 2.4 ghz processors are already being produced and have been for about a month. There should be little to no shipping delays on those models (low and middle end). The 2.6 ghz is still in testing so we may have to wait a bit for those, if you want high end.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
even if there are shipping delays on new machines, you will be able to get the rev 1 machines for cheaper once the new ones are out, if you decide they'd be enough for you... that alone should help you decide to wait.

DIGITAL

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2004
My brother has his own studio that he runs of his 17" iMac. Of course his ram is fully upgraded but it handles pretty well. (except with a problem he has with an equalizer that doesn't work with built in firewire cards) but anyways a dual 1.8 would be enough for you.

jello

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Vancouver
Thanks for the responses - I really appreciate it. I'd be happy to hear from any others who have a DP 1.8 in use with Logic or a similar hi-end sequencer.

To those who recommend waiting, thanks - I know that's sound advice. I guess since I've already waited since December for the Jobs keynote on Jan 6 I'm a little antsy about further delays. Wouldn't be so concerned if I was at all confident that Apple would make a product release announcement next week that would result in the new G5s actually shipping by Jan 25th or so, but I know that an announcement is one thing and actual units being shipped is another.

However the idea of purchasing a discounted DP 1.8 is very interesting -- at least they would presumably be ready to ship, more or less. In that case it's only a matter of trusting the rumour that an announcement is actually planned for the 20th. As far as I know that rumour is still based on info from one website and is no more valid than the guess that an announcement will be made at the Super Bowl or the FA Cup final or opening of MLB spring training, but I guess that's the way it goes with rumours.

Anyway - does anyone know whether discounted G5s would be available through the Apple online store, or is this just something that happens randomly at various physical stores? I'm asking cuz we don't have an actual Apple store where I am.

Thanks again everyone

jello

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.