G5 Buzz, not the power supply

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tidalbomb, Jul 1, 2005.

1. tidalbomb macrumors newbie

tidalbomb

Hey all...

I recently bought the latest Dual 2.0 G5 and love it, except the buzz that develops randomly (at least I think it's randomly, I can't make it happen yet).

It's not the power supply problem that I've read about, because if I touch the front of the case the buzz goes away. Has anyone else had this problem? Any fixes? I'm sure if I take it to the genius bar I won't be able to make it happen again and it's an hour away.

2. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

I have noticed that when I have a CD in the SuperDrive, it sometimes makes the drive door vibrate and buzz a little. Could it be something like tthat? I ask because you said that if you touch the front of the case, it quits.

3. tidalbomb thread starter macrumors newbie

tidalbomb

I does it when there is no CD in the drive, and it doesn't stop when I touch the drive door, only the front of the case or the sides... :confused:

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Are you sure the machine isn't transmitting some vibration, and buzzing against your desk?

Try putting it on a soft surface to see if the buzz goes away, if it does something may be loose -- or the handle is contacting the surface.

Of you can always get some bigger rubber feet, to soak up some of the buzz.

5. tidalbomb thread starter macrumors newbie

tidalbomb

Thats a good idea - should have though of it myself. I'll give it a try when I get home...in 20 minutes. Horay for quiting time!

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The feet they have, and the box construction, really don't do much to damp vibrations.

On second though bigger feet would probably warp the handles, but a cheap $1-2 mouse pad with rubber backing would probably be much better.