G5 Cannot Boot From CD

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MacKenzie999, Nov 3, 2004.

1. MacKenzie999 macrumors regular

Hi folks

Trying to boot from Techtool to create an eDisk, my new Dual 2/G5 10.3.5 will not boot from a cd that I have tested on other macs. At the grey Apple screen, the Apple shifts over and down a row of pixels and leaves a few artifacts on my cinema display.Then it just hangs here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    -Mike

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yes... Ours do exactly the same as well from the black-boxed Panther disks... which are 10.3.0

(Edit to clarify: Ours are dual 2.5s)

I have yet to try our G5 installation disks (10.3.4) ... because somebody has 'tidied' them away.

My guess is that the machines need at least 10.3.4 to boot in...

4. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Is it version 4.0.3? If so I think you can just run it in OS X. If its version 3.0.9, you can run it if you have OS 9.1 up to 9.2.2 installed

5. MacKenzie999 thread starter macrumors regular

It's 4.0.2, and the app runs fine on my mac but cannot do certain repairs unless it is the startup disc, which is also required for installing an edisk.

And for an earlier question, yes this is the 1st G5 I've tried it on.

Thanks

6. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

When the Cd is in the tray try holding down Option key for a list of boot devices. This was in another thread.

7. MacKenzie999 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but I tried that. Same problem: grey screen, Apple logo shift, artifacts, hang up.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

What disks came with the G5? Did you get AppleCare? If so, I'd expect that either the disk in that box or one of the disks in the G5's box would allow you to boot from the drive. However, I suspect that the TechTools disk you have is simply too old to work with the G5, although I'd guess that any disk that worked with any G5 (PowerMac) would work.

9. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I think I got it, put in the TechTools CD, and then go to System Preferences and choose Startup Disk, and select that as the startup medium and restart.

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Your not going to be able to boot a 2.5 from anything less then probably 10.3.4 due to the water cooling system. There's some must need updates that were made in the OS and the boot rom probably needs them prior to the OS loading.