G5 case modding

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by switchedanhappy, Jan 15, 2004.

1. switchedanhappy macrumors regular

hi everybody. I just read the how to for this in the latest macaddict and i was wondering if anybody knew what fan sizes the G5 takes (dual 2 ghz) I think i may use that clear side panel and a couple of these. http://crazypc.com/products/fans/modfans.htm#lightedfan They look real cool. also, if i do put these in, will os X still monitor and control the fan speed? it says that it monitors speed an apples site, but is it only with the preinstalled fans? also, I'm open to any other suggestions on modding the G5. Thanks! ps: is this gonna void my warranty?:(

2. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Don't mess with the fans or you'll void your warranty. Not that Apple's warranties are worth much, but I guess you'll void your Apple Care, seeing that it seems accepted these days that Apple's quality control has nosedived so much that it's essential.

Leave it alone. Take a picture of it and mess with the picture in Photoshop.

;)

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yes, it probably will void your warranty. No big deal though, if you ever have to take it in, just put the old fans back. I think any type of fan will work. I believe the voltage to the fan is changed to slow/speed it up. As long as the new fan uses the same connector as the old one, it should be fine. Personally, I'd watch the computer very closely for the first few days just to make sure everything's okay with the new fans.

4. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Yeah, I think the G5 uses pretty standard 80mm fans. I assume the ones you want to mess with are those in line with the heatsinks?

5. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Oooh... a RiceMac. :D

Couldn't you wait until your warranty is out before you mod the G5? Its only a year.

6. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I thought they were some kind of jumbo, slow-moving, quiet fans...

Why would you want to mess with this?

7. switchedanhappy thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure which fans yet, and to the last guy: that's cool and all, but i need to silence my peecee friends and their stupid "one cd drive" remarks.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Glowing Radeon 9800 in a Mac...

[​IMG]

I guess this is the same logic applied used by people who put 20" wheels, roll cage, neon lights, nitrous, etc. on Yugos.

They did to silence the laughs....

9. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

How about an external mod where you install an external firewire CD drive on top of the machine, poking its tray out under the front handle. You could make an aluminum cowl that runs the full length of the top of the machine...

10. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I would have to agree that after looking at the fans in the G5, they are quite different then standard. They are very large, and the blades are angled very sharply, more so then regular PC fans. Maybe the best thing to do is just put some neon lights on the existing fans? But then again, that will void warrenty and possibly cause even more damage. . .

11. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

2nd drive

Attached Files:

12. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Or you could just ditch your friends... you do have a G5 afterall. It's the only friend you'll need :D

13. switchedanhappy thread starter macrumors regular

haha very true. nice photoshop dude. very nice:)