G5 Crash...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 3-22, Sep 21, 2003.

1. 3-22 macrumors regular

I'm a recent "switcher" from the PC world to Mac. I ordered a new G5, but have yet to receive it.

I was at the Apple store in Towson, MD messing with the 1.8 G5 they have on display. I was screwing around with iDVD when the system completly crashed. Complete freeze, no mouse movement, keyboard response, etc. The store clerk had to reset the box with the power button.

Anyway, this was a bit shocking to me. I'm switching to Mac in the hopes of improved stability, ease of use, etc. I guess my concerns are... Do crashes like this occur often? Is this the old Rev A crap? Is this just some isolated incident due to an abused demo model?

Any ideas from the mac-experts out there?

2. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

Odd... iDVD isn't the most stabliest of apps, but there was probably lots of Apps open and stuff. Floor models are terrible with stablity. Trust me, once you use it yourself and customize it to your liking, then it will be stable.

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Don't base initial impression with the in-store demo. The demo at the store here has a good 15 programs actively running most of the time due to people messing with it and not quiting them, demo programs running, usually 4 or 5 hardware units attached, and none of the updates, maintainence, etc done to them usually. People mess with them *all* the time. Just wait untill you get your G5 and see how you like it. I have had my PowerBook for years and it just works and when you literally have to think hard about the last time it froze, you know it's pretty darn reliable.

4. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

My Dual G4 never froze up after almost 4 years of rigorous use, and I never used any maintenance.

I never abused it, either.

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

My guess is someone ****ed around with the computers or something.

Macs barely EVER completely crash like that.

scem0

6. 3-22 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks..

Thanks for the responses...

I'll sleep better tonight, except for the fact I want to wake up every couple hours to check my order status... :D

7. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

iDVD is buggy as Schiffi mentioned. Also, since G5 is a new machine, some elements of Mac OS might need to go through a revisions to work out the kinks.

8. lpb2h macrumors newbie

From what I've gathered, buying the first of a new Apple product is risky. I'm waiting for the second G5 release, which I will order as soon as it's available.

I've heard a few informal comments on the stability of the box, in both directions. Haven't found a reliable source of information on G5 problems if any.

Having said that, I can't wait to get my hands on a G5!

Luc (kfglq*)

9. sproggy macrumors newbie

crashing

This isn't G5 news but wanted to add my two "scents." I have a G4 733 mghz 1500meg ram and still run mostly OS 9 because X is really slow for me (10.2.8). I've been told it's due to running two monitors off a 32 mb ram video card. But even with just one monitor it is slower than 9 and all sorts of weird problems abound -non printing, my keyboard numbers on the right don't work, spinning beachball, etc etc.... Speaking of crashes, 9 freezes on me at least once a day, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day and I have had OS X freeze on me, complete system crash, maybe 8 times or so -and I don't use it much. Maybe I just have a special knack. Personally, i'm going to wait until Panther gets ironed out and install it with a new video card and cross my fingers.

10. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

I have "crashed" OS X, but the computer was still running almost fine. The application had taken over the screen, keyboard and mouse. It then locked up. So the machine appeared crashed. I used the power button and restarted. This time I turned on the ability to remote log in. Ran the program again and "crashed" the computer. I remote logged in, and using "ps" I saw the application was the problem. The old Unix "kill" corrected the situation and I had the machine back again without the restart.
    Perhaps a key sequence that an application can't prevent the OS from getting at might be a solution.

11. Zeke macrumors 6502

Re: crashing

This sounds like a hardware problem. Granted 9 may crash occasionally but the fact that you routinely crash both systems sounds like bad ram (at the least) or a bad logic board. X has never crashed on me (applications have frozen but usually I can force quit).

12. aphexist macrumors member

What do you propose prospective buyers should base their initial impression on? Most people don't have the luxury of buying an expensive product and discovering that they don't like it later.

I thought you just got your Powerbook? Well, as long as you thought about it REALLY hard...

13. jamesatzones macrumors regular

I've done lots of iDVD stuff on my G5 and never experienced a crash or any problems with anything else but SETI@Home (Since I installed Panther.)

Demo units are never reliable because you have so many users doing this and that, changing preferences, trying to delete stuff, and so on. I wish store front Apple resellers and Apple stores would lock down the systems some so that the first impression of a PC user isn't that of disarray and crash prone. My G5 has not crashed once, haven't had to force quite anything, and has been by far the best computer I have ever used...

14. sproggy macrumors newbie

system crashes

A reply to Zeke, or really a question. Interesting idea the bad ram or logic board. I just recently changed two of my ram cards and nothing changed (except i went from 850 megs of ram to 1500). So it's possible that it is the remaining card that hasn't been swapped as of recent. I can pull it out and give it a whirl if i can figure out which one it is. How else could I check the ram and/or logic board? Geez, if it's the logic board, screw it, i'm getting a G5.

And thankss Tim for the idea. But don't i need to be on a network (I'm not) to remote log in or am I missing something? I don't know what a "ps" is, what the old Unix kill would be, etc... Is this complicated stuff for an intermediate level mac user (knowledge wise)?

15. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

Re: system crashes

You need to be on a network. It maybe possible to go through a serial port. Normally the access to the computer is keyboard & screen, but when thats locked up, you have access other than network.
    "ps" I believe stands for Process Status. It lists the current processes on the computer and their status. So .. 'ps -aux | grep "Safari" will display info on the Safari task if it is running. The second column is the PID or Process ID. "kill" with the pid will kill that process or application.
    For a test, look for the "Dock" app and kill it. It will restart by itself. The Dock will disappear then reappear.

I forgot to mention that you do this through the terminal. Be careful what you kill :)

16. rcs macrumors newbie

My new G5, running 10.2.8, crashes every time I run a particular program that requires X11. Screen and cursor freeze; the crash can only be recovered from by pressing the power button and restarting.

The same program (something called pdp++, if anyone's interested) works fine on my Imac at home, running 10.2.8 too.

I've done virtually nothing else on the G5, and I've clean-installed all the software, but the problem persists.

(Incidentally, the website and the installation process for the public beta 3 version of X11 seems to say conflicting things about what the system requirement is. Is it 10.2.x or 10.3?)

Any advice would be welcome.

rcs

17. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

18. fsbilly macrumors newbie

Stop being such lushes

I admin MANY Macs. 32 and counting. I now have seven G5s. Two of them freeze TWICE A DAY! The others run fine.

Don't tell someone that "Oh, macs hardly EVER crash!" That's crap. I'm a Mac fan, as well. I would be very worried if the display machine froze before my eyes! "It probably had a bunch of stuff running on it"? WTF!? Like what? Earth Simulator Lite? Nice try.

My advice to a new mac user is 1) Don't ever buy Rev A/V x.0 of ANYTHING from apple... and 2) Never buy anything less than a month before Macworld.

Wait for the 64bit OS and the G5 apps to start rolling out. THEN get your G5

good luck

19. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I've seen an OS X machine apparently crash, but when you connect via telnet to it, you can see that its still working, but the only thing that crashed was the window manager. Killing that process brings it back up.

20. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Hmmm. I guess this 64-bit transition is going to be more painful than we realized.
    Don't you just love computing?
    I can only imagine how things are going to be on the PC side.

21. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

HAHAHAHA!

couldn't have said it any better. i agree that it is a bad idea to buy the first one of anything. i got the first ipod the day it came out and had to send it back twice cause it kept acting up.

22. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Before criticizing me, when I wrote that post two months ago I did not have my 15" PowerBook, I was still using my PowerBook G3 that I've had since 1999, so yes, I did have to think really hard about the last time it had crashed.

As far as the demo model goes, it's just a simple fact that they are abused both intentionally and unintentionally, so if it seems likely to crash at an alarming rate, keep in mind it is being messed with by dozens of people day in and day out who don't have any regard for the machine.

23. Makosuke macrumors 603

Re: Stop being such lushes

This thread seems to have come back from the dead.

I'd be worried about a display machine funking up, too, and it's not true that Macs never crash, but depending on how you take care of your hardware and what you do, I think it's safe to say that it's an exceedingly rare occurance. Revision A hardware does tend to be flaky, but that's NOT always the case.

My experience: I also administer a lab full of scientists with about a dozen Macs and a half dozen PCs. The Macs running OSX 10.2 rarely crash, to say the least. I've never heard of a single crash from anyone but me, and I abuse my machine seriously--even then, perhaps one crash a month. This isn't with kiddy-glove treatment, either--CAD, scientific, and data processing apps all around.

I used to have an older G4 tower at home, which I take good care of . Since upgrading to Jaguar, I saw four crashes in the space of about a year.

I now have a new dual G5 that, although not one of the first machines off the assembly line, is still what you'd call a rev. A, running 10.3.0, which depending on how you cut it qualifies as a .0 version. I have been pushing it VERY hard to see what it can handle--iDVD, iMovie, massive data processing, running for days on end, Folding@Home, lots of video, two Firewire hard drives and plenty of moving files around--and to make sure the hardware is ok I have had one crash so far, which was without question the fault of a very flaky, very old, no-longer-supported, Sony analog-to-Firewire video converter. And even it worked after the one crash.

There are a disproportionate number of lemons in the first batch of anything, but they're not always a bum deal, and I have no qualms about saying that Macs crash very, very rarely these days.

24. lpb2h macrumors newbie

I had a problem with the first 2-3 versions of X11 which would crash reliably in very specific circumstances. But eventually Apple fixed the problem. Actually, the problem also affected XDarwin. It had something to do with underlying xfree86. Don't ask me what. I'd check my version of X11. I would also search through the X11 forum on the Apple developer site. If it is a X11 problem, you're very unlikely to be the first one to have come across it so there should be a solution. Otherwise, post.
    Good luck. Luc (kfglq)

25. lpb2h macrumors newbie

Apple on Nov 18 '03 released a new dual g5 powermac: 1.8GHz powermac g5. My question is: does it include any hardware modifications (read: fixes) compared with the 2Ghz model? Or are the only changes related to clock speed (the specs don't lead me to think there is any change). Then we would need to wait till 2004 for the second generation G5's.

There aren't a lot of specific reports about G5 issues :(. The htpp://www.macfixit.com site has some, but the coverage isn't very systematic.
    Luc (kfglq*)