G5 Crucial Memory...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by _bnkr612, Mar 9, 2004.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Anyone have any remarks/reviews about Crucial Memory? I ordered 512mb RAM for my G5 the other day and it will be here tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone uses it and does a RAM manufacturer really matter?
    If anyone wants to know where you can get 512mb RAM for a G5 (or any Ma) under $100.00 try crucial.com

cheers|bnkr

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i use crucial for all my apple computers, i dont have a g5 so i cant say i have ur set up, but iv always been happy
    they always give u good support and try to help you if u run into problems like faulty ram

3. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I'm guessing you've got a 1.6 G5, unless your buying 2 x 256. Other than the 1.6, G5s require modules in pairs (and crucial tells you this).

On another note, crucial has always been good for me, I will be buying 2 x 512 for my 1.8 G5 :) Plus they don't have "Rip off Britain" prices, which is always good!

4. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

Crucial Ram A ok

I bought two 512s from crucial. everything seems to be just fine. Render times on final cut pro were the same. It will be a bitch to get in. you have to push so hard the motherboard on the G5 flexes. And yes i was puting it in the right way with the notch lined up. It felt like the chip was going to pierce the skin on my fingers and i was going to bleed all over it. Let me know how it goes, you will probably say it snaped together like legos and im an idiot but we will see.

5. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Another happy G5/Crucial owner here. I ordered a pair of 512MB DDR333 DIMMs from Crucial for my 1.6GHz G5 back in October 2003 and I've had no complaints since then. As a piece of trivia, Apple themselves used Crucial RAM for the pair of 128MB modules which shipped with the G5. So it's a 100% Crucial system (all 1.25 GB of it). Delivery was also fast and efficient, even to Australia.

6. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

somewhat off topic but...

If i were interested in buying memory and installing it, but have bought the applecare plan, would that void my applecare?? Or do i have to buy straight from apple and have them do it??

7. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I believe the 1.6 GHz PowerMac must also have matched pairs installed according to the Apple Document on expanding a PowerMac G5. Even the Crucial site explains that the 1.6 GHz PowerMac has 2 banks of 2 which means that you WILL have to buy the RAM in matched pairs. If it just had 1 bank of 4 then you could buy just a single stick of RAM.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86414

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm pretty sure that counts as a "user-servicable" part. Anyone want to back me up on that? Of course, the RAM itself isn't protected, just the computer.

9. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Same experience as above. Bought to 512 from crucial for my G5. Hardest darn things to get into the slot - well, one of them. The other went in without difficulty. I was worried I would break the board or impale myself.

I've bought Crucial for all my Macs since 2001. No problems at all.

10. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Yeah I also think that RAM is a user expandable part in any Mac just like the AirPort Extreme Wireless Card is. Correct if I'm wrong but it doesn't void the warranty to buy RAM from someone else, however if you screw something up putting the RAM in the computer then its not covered under the AppleCare warranty. The RAM itself is NOT covered under the warranty unless its Apple Memory. Any RAM not bought from Apple should be covered by the warranty from the company you bought the RAM from.

11. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

I too have had good experiences with Crucial.

According to Apple, my Pismo only handles 512MB of memory. Crucial says 1GB. I phoned Crucial, and they said that they understood my concern; They have tested it, and 1GB for Pismo has been a top seller for a long time with them. Additionally, they guaranteed that it would work just fine or they'd take it back.

Needless to say, my Pismo is quite happy with it's 1 GB of RAM.

12. papersushi macrumors regular

You doesn't void warranty by adding additional RAM's by yourself, However:

1/ Parts damaged by direct result of installing 3rd party products, such as RAM won't be covered.

2/ If you need to send your computer in for service, you need to remove all 3rd party parts, such as RAM's you purchased from 3rd party company before Apple will touch your computer.

13. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Not entirely true...I just had my iMac worked on with 3rd Party memory installed. I had to have the arm replaced on my 1 GHz FP iMac and the authorized service center didn't say anything about 3rd party memory being installed and they never said that they wouldn't do warranty work on it just because it had 3rd party DDR RAM in it.

14. Makosuke macrumors 603

Count me in: I have for 512MB sticks in my G5 from Crucial, and haven't had a single problem. I didn't find them particularly difficult to insert, either--not nearly as hard as an iBook I upgraded a while ago--you just need to get the angle right. Laying the G5 on its side helps.

I believe Apple has changed their policy regarding 3rd party parts; I'm pretty sure it used to be that if you installed anything yourself, it would void the warranty or at the very least they'd refuse to work on it, but of course since they can't tell if you take the parts (RAM, HD, etc) back out before you send it in, people would frequently do that.

At some point, though, Apple started listing a few things as user-installable parts (there's a list in the manual); generally limited to RAM and Airport cards, but the G5s probably include a 2nd SATA drive and of course PCI cards, as well. According to the brand new eMac manual I'm holding, Apple "recommends that you have an Apple-certified technician install memory", but the only warranty stipulation is if you break it while installing memory, it's not covered by the limited warranty.

So, bascially, so long as its listed in the "Enhancing Your Computer" section of the manual, you can install it yourself without affecting the warranty. Just don't break the computer while you're doing it.