Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Yeah, this had been posted a while back - even before the G5s were debuted at WWDC.

I don't like the design, way too monolithic....

D

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Sorry my bad, if I'd seen it before I wouldn't have posted.

I'm not too fond of the concept machine, but I think it's well executed and the screen is interesting.

AppleMatt

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
if the new g5 was this i would have allready ordered instead of upgrading my quicksilver, this was and is an awesome concept for the home user. i love every thing about it and thought this was the best of all g5's to be. awsome video, i sure wish this was the next cube if so ill place my order now. Steve where the heck are you? the current g5's will be great machines when the software matches the hardware but its styling does not inspire the least. i have had no dreams of the current g5, while this concept is what dreams are made. Enya film was awsome, after seeing all the concepts i must say the current machine as far as styling,looks,size simply sucks.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
sorry for the double post but have to say that us mac users should petition steve jobs to make an upgradeable consumer machine ( like this concept ) so sick of nonupgradeable imac with sorry video chips or ugly as can be new & big g5. Come on how about a cool upgradable machine for the home/consumer user steve??? Steve get off that jet and answer!

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
....so sick of nonupgradeable imac with sorry video chips or ugly as can be new & big g5. Come on how about a cool upgradable machine for the home/consumer user steve???....

you should consider buying a PC, or building your own Mac from parts. the Power Mac is upgradable, the iMac and eMac aren't. that's the way it is, and always will be. you can't crap on Apple for this. they make everything very clear for us. surely you didn't get your iMac home and realize after opening it that you couldn't beef up the video card? they do this for many reasons; it's cheaper for them and thusly us too, and most of all it keeps "consumers" from having to even think about dicking around inside their computers. trust me, i work on Macs all day at work and you wouldn't believe what some people are capable of. the average consumer, for the most part, is very stoooopid when it comes to doing anything other than "going on the internet". the eMac (marketed towards children) and the iMac (marketed towards students and mom and dad Doe) make life easy. you plug it in and that's it. all the plugs you need are there, no PCI card installations. hell, no printer drivers even! it works and lets these folks upload pictures of grandmas birthday up to their iDisk and everybody's happy. Apple is not going to change their entire marketing and demographic strategy because .01% of their customers actually knows how to put RAM into their computer without blowing it up. the consumer line is more like idiot-proof appliances than computers. like a really really cool looking $1500 toaster:)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
actually iam using a g4 quicksilver upgraded to a 1.4 g4 and geforce3, my wife has the imac. i dont have any problems except for wanting a cool looking mac that can play all my games and more. the g5 is not cool looking, is bigger then i wanted and in no way resembles any of the style of the recent mac family, there i said it. How about a single 2.0 g5 in a imac or consumer UPGRADEABLE machine steve? Not a oversized cheese grater with a crap butt fx5200. Garbage.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
I've drawn a G5 Cube of my own

Here is my attempt at drawing a G5 Cube.

AlCube.jpg

Here are some non rendered schematics of other angles:

http://homepage.mac.com/srobert/.Pictures/AlCubeschematics.gif

Some ports in front, some ports on the back. You can always plug a hub on the back if you need more. No modem, if you need one, attach the optional USB modem. Superdrive, 100ish+ Gigs Hard drive, up to 2 Gigs RAM? (It's not that roomy in there ^_^) Decent graphic card (upgradable?) 2-4 small silent fans. I dunno, me no rocket scientist.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
I haven't seen it before...But I don't think the design is that great, not because it doesn't look all right, but because it's not practical.

Even if it had 1 G5 processor (you know, instead of 4), the heating issues would be terrible.

Forget about a piece of paper causing the thing to shut down, the molecules of air over the cube would do the same!

edit: this is referring to the black french cube.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
UK
That's excellent srobert, really really good.

It's a nice idea and it's well done.

AppleMatt

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Originally posted by themadchemist
I haven't seen it before...But I don't think the design is that great, not because it doesn't look all right, but because it's not practical.

Even if it had 1 G5 processor (you know, instead of 4), the heating issues would be terrible.

Forget about a piece of paper causing the thing to shut down, the molecules of air over the cube would do the same!

edit: this is referring to the black french cube.
i dont think heat would be a issue with a single 970, and when they make the smaller die even more so. Apple needs a consumer upgradable line, people who arent pro's but want or need more then take as is imac and dont want a big machine in their office or home. remember this the imac saved the company not pro towers, and so apple should be looking at this. How many people have been turned off due to lack of expansion of the imac,emac, and put off to the price of a powermac with display. Apple needs a consumer powermac for lack of a better term.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
That is one hellofa nice rendering. The french cube was nice - until the g5 was announced.

Really - i wish apple would make one again but i am not going to put any of my ideas up here. If i do then apple will do nothing like it.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
I was thinking that a Cube would make a great server if you added a faster processor. What company was it that made a Linux server in a little blue box?

Sun Cobalt Qube.... at the time of Apple releasing the Cube G4, apparently Sun were less than impressed... and all kinds of legal ramifications for Apple were being discussed...

As for that render of that black thing... what alot of these people miss, is that Apple designs are always minimal... taking the less is more approach to aesthetics.

Alot of these renders that were doing the rounds before WWDC and before are totally over designed... and although some may look good now, they'll date, and they'll date very, very quickly! It's like looking at a mid 80's Toshiba Hi-Fi.... nasty... too trend based, rather than focusing on good, solid, clean design.... think B&O etc etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.