G5 Delivery in UK

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wirewyrm, Aug 27, 2003.

1. wirewyrm macrumors newbie

"John Lewis" in the UK has received some Powermacs last week, and they have already gone out to customers, so there are G5's out there, just nobody who post's on these forums seems to have received one. Then again, most people here ordered the 2x2. Anyone seen one in the UK.

2. AngryAngel macrumors regular

What makes you think people here have mostly order the dual?

If you go to http://www.jigsaw24.com/cats/computers/ (who clain to be the UK's biggest Apple dealer), and find the G5 in their listings. Then click on 'stock'- you will see they have on order 208 1.6's, 121 1.8's, 106 2.0's. I think this must be based on how many pre-orders they have.

3. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I was John Lewis at the weekend in case they had one to look at (they didn't :( ) the guys there said they had some coming but they were all going straight out the door again. They reckoned on 4-6 weeks delivery if you ordered now.

In case folks are wondering why buy from John Lewis when they charge the same as Applestore and take longer to deliver? 2 year standard warranty ;)

4. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Really? I didn't know that, but I'll definitely be looking in to that. Thanks!

5. mikeh123 macrumors member

A very small number came in last week (150) and were distributed among the resellers.

More are filtering through and expect the dual 2 's soon.

6. AngryAngel macrumors regular

mikeh123:
    Where did you here this?

Are the education distributers getting any priority?

I noted that the US Apple store now has 7-10 working days as ship time for 1.6's, and last night the UK time dropped from 4-6 weeks to 3-5 weeks (these are for new purchases).

Do any of the Tottenham Court Road Apple Dealers have display models?

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I think most people everywhere are ordering the dual. Just based on my own observations, about 8 out of ten who said they've ordered a G5 have picked the 2.0, and the Dual made it up to No. 3 on Apple's top seller list, with the rest of the top ten being accessories and software and no other G5 in the top 20. I don't think Apple were expecting this, so it wouldn't surprise me if their stock figures were slightly out of whack.

Mike.

8. AngryAngel macrumors regular

Yay!!

Yesterday morning I was excited because the ship time of a newly order Power Mac G5 jumped from 4-6 to 3-5 weeks.

This morning, the UK store has new orders of 1.6 G5s at 8-10 days!

Very good news.

I ordered mine over a week ago, so I am expecting it within a week or so. Yay!

9. AngryAngel macrumors regular

Excuse me for answering my own question, but the Micro Anvika nearest the Tottenham Court Road Underground station has a G5 on display. Only the 1.6, with the stock 256MB RAM, but has Photoshop installed. Didn't check whether it had the plugin for the G5 (only realised afterwards that this may have affected my impression of it being quite slow).

Their display clearly advertises a 2.5GHz dual! When I asked if it was actually 2.0, the salesman didn't know. He also that the duals were expected a month ago (did he really believe Apple's ship date of August meant August 1st?!?) and to expect them this week (I don't think so).

Hope this is of interest to someone.

10. Alte22a macrumors 6502

I was in Micro anvika yesterday, must of miss that G5 on Display. I pop in to collect memory for my girlfriends PowerBook 12" They are out of stock for a stick of 512MB. Its been a week now. But yeah I guess PS wouldnt be that impressive on the single G5, Maybe when Panther is out it might make a difference.

11. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Well, I think it's a given that most will get the cheapest model.

12. mikeh123 macrumors member

Well spoke to Apple today directly. (I work for a reseller)
    2ghz are not being produced at the moment.
    There is a backlog of 1.6 and 1.8 machines and they are trying to push those out as quickly as possible.
    Once those orders start getting fulfilled the production / shipment of duals will begin.

Quite frankly they don't know a date because they don't have one. October seemed too far away for them so sometime in September.

Also note the channel shortage of both memory and serial ATA drives for these machines. makes you think.

13. AngryAngel macrumors regular

Jigsaw http://www.jigsaw24.com claim to have 1.6's in stock.

I'm still waiting for the one I order 2 weeks ago.

14. mikeh123 macrumors member

Looks like 1.6 machine are flooding the UK channel.

We received delivery of several more today. Only a few left on backorder then a couple of 1.8's.

Then the duals.
    (and mine) !!