G5 Demo Units - Next Week

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 28, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

One report notes that PowerMac G5 demos will be at most Apple stores in about a week.

2. macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

That's good news. Maybe they'll be shipping earlier than expected too!

3. macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

The Apple Stores are going to be flooded with people if this true. :D

5. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

A salesguy at my local Apple store (Emeryville, CA) told me the same thing last week. I took it with a large grain of salt however, as they've been pretty unreliable predicting these kind of things in the past. I think a lot of them get their 'inside' information from MacRumors. Let's hope they're right about this one.

6. macrumors 6502

Well I might need to see if I can get a Pro Card or not, because I'm using the educational discount....

7. macrumors member

I was at the Schaumburg, IL Apple Store yesterday, and noticed that the wall along the left side where the G4's are usually had been replaced - the monitors are still there, but now 15" PowerBooks are driving them. The 15" PowerBooks were moved from the counter in front of the wall where the 12" and LapZilla sit. When I asked, he responded that they were moved around as they were "preparing for the G5". When I asked when those would come in, he said "August or September; they keep pushing it back."

I took it at the time as a sign of PB updates to come (the 15" PB is now quite invisible) but this report may clarify things :)

8. macrumors regular

Sweet! This means I can finally see the G5 when I go to Las Vegas for Defcon 11.

Does anyone know which model will be demoed? I hope its the Dual 2.0ghz, since I ordered one almost instantly after the keynote address.

9. macrumors 6502a

Dahl

Great news.
    It will be nice to see them "live".

Now we just need to see the latest shipping dates ?

10. macrumors 6502

So, do you think that the 970's are in production, whether in Fishkill or elsewhere? ;)

11. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'll watch for the G5 at one of my local Apple Stores. I already know all the specs, but I really need to see one up close and personal to decide what I think of the style and design.

12. macrumors 6502

13. macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

I was in the Apple Store in King Of Prussia, PA this weekend and they still had G4 PowerMacs but oddly there was not ONE SINGLE 15" PowerBook there. There were several 12" and 17" PowerBooks but not any TiBooks. I thought this was a bit odd.

MacBoyX

14. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Sweet if they get them, I'm calling my nearest store and camping outside it for a good couple hours.

:)

15. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

running what? 10.2.7? Should we expect a SWUpdate soon? It seems to make sense to me that they would want demo machines to be running a fairly stable OS, so I would guess that Panther would not be in there yet.

16. macrumors member

I read in Macuser that Mac OS X 10.2.7 is expected to be a release designed for the G5 and won't be available via SWUpdate. I think it has something do to with the fact that 10.2.7 has a new DVD Player with Dolby Surround Sound support. (Which is also coming with Panther)

17. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Looks like I'll be visiting the St. Louis apple store soon. I've been staying away just waiting for the G5 to finally show up!

18. macrumors 6502

SW Update

It is Apple's trend and procedure to have a new OS revision to support a new hw revision, and if the os revision has no new feature/bug fix updates to it that would benefit computers other than the new rev, then the new rev will be only for that one product.

However, many times they do not even update the rev number. For example, machines that come with 10.2.4 have machine specific code and thus can be booted by 10.2.5 or 10.2.6 cds assuming they exist, or by their bundled install/restore disc, but not by a generic retail 10.2.4 cd.

So it might still be called 10.2.6, as to curb the customer's desire to demand a 10.2.7 on earlier machines.

If they don't, and they do call it a 10.2.7 due to drastic rewrites to support the hardware (aka base the rev on programming differences instead of a marketing decision), then it will be a big call driver for applecare. Please don't add to it. The OS that comes with the G5 tower will be meant only for that machine, I assure you.

Jaedreth

19. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

This is a good thing. At least at the Apple store there shouldn't be a guy surrounding the thing, watching everything you do on the machine. Oh wait a minute, I remember, I couldn't even touch them at MacWorld. :(

Hopefully I will be able to pretty soon.

20. macrumors 601

cb911

that would be sweet to finally see them in person! :D i just hope they come out here to Oz at the same time.

21. macrumors regular

Yes, let's hope they do come to Oz straight way - heck we pay enough for Macs here, we may as well get them on time!!! I'll be interested to see how noisy the G5's are with all those fans ...

22. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

According to Apple, 35db, or the same as ambient room noise.

23. macrumors 6502a

What do you guys think the chances are that the Rev As wont need to much tweaking?,as opposed to waiting for B,which if its like A {release date} could be released this time next year as opposed to earlier.

24. macrumors newbie

CompUSA's website

CompUSA's website is saying that the G5s will ship to them from their supplier on August 5th.

Attached Files:

25. macrumors 6502

sorry, those 'estimated ship dates' are shots in the dark. =\