G5 Design???

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by keithcobbett, Jan 31, 2002.

1. keithcobbett macrumors member

Any ideas on the new design that everyone is mentioning? Smaller cases? New and different case all together? Seen some mentions of a tube shaped case and a sphere, but I don't see that happening. Any ideas?

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

not sure....

anyone remember this hideous thing?

does anyone know if this was something worth seeing at all? :confused:

Attached Files:

3. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

that design would be highly probable. It looks more high-tech than the current quicksilver. But I think that Apple would make a case that would be totally different than any other designs. It could be a sphere. Look at the iMac, its a half sphere, why couldn't there be a whole sphere G5? Whatever it is, it will be something that none of us would have thought of.

4. TazGuido macrumors newbie

i agree!!!

i think the g5 will be totally different than anything we would expect-- something along the lines of the new iMac is highly probable:D

5. Six macrumors regular

The new G5 sphere! Get one before they all roll away! :p

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

god I hope they we don't see the G5 sphere.... :eek:

7. pc_convert? macrumors regular

I doubt it will be a sphere. G5 will be targeted at pro users, who generally require PCI/AGP slots for expansion cards. If it was a sphere it would have to be v.large.

It will probably be some ultra cool variation on a tower design...

8. benmac macrumors member

GO TO APPLE MOCK-UPS FOR HUNDREDS OF GREAT FUTURE MAC DESIGNS!
    It also has loads of very nice PowerMac mock-ups!

9. keithcobbett thread starter macrumors member

10. zuffen macrumors member

By golly I've had a Brain F*&%

I hope they turn the tower and make the side the front so I can shove it to the back of the desk so it won't be in the way as 99% of the towers are. Why hasn't someone done this yet, can designers think outside the frickin mold.

Ooohh what about your current tower turned sideways and a flatpanel attached. Make it swivel/pop out when you use it and tuck back in when you don't.

A square iMac kinda, but with all the room to grow.

Stick a handle on the top so it is a portable tower. Make it light so you can tote it around the office on your Airport. Not as fragile as a laptop but built for the super pros. No more having to drop your files on a zip or cd just take the entire unit with you for presentations or to show the Boss your latest illustration.

I want Apple to Hear me dammit, I've got the next greatest conprosumer pc!!!!!!

11. nicely macrumors member

Power Mac G5's are going to be towers

I agree with pc_convert?. The G5 will be a conventional tower design so it can have room for expansion and fit in racks that many media editing/broadcast companies use. No doubt it will be stunning, but it won't be any kind of radical new shape.

12. GIR macrumors newbie

13. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

it seems many of the people here are missing the point of the pro-level towers. a sphere/halfsphere iMac-ish design is not going to cut it.

pros want expandability. a sphere/cube/dodecahedron just won't work. you have to make too many sacrifices with your motherboard and for heat concerns.

14. jaronimo macrumors newbie

suppose it will be some sort of white or silver, kinda "tube tower"

15. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I think I speak for most pro users when I say that we would want something that's stylish, but more importantly, practical! A sphere is not a practical computer shape. At least not at this point in computer history. We need easy access to cards, ports, slots, bays, DIMMs, the whole nine yards, and the current case gives us that. Not that I wouldn't think a sphere would be interesting, but there's just no way it could give us the same features we enjoy on our towers...

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I agree...

the sphere would end up being another cube story....

there's going to be another tower for sure....was expandability....

Apple would be shooting itself in the foot if they didn't offer that up for pro users....

17. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

I´d like to see some slightly revamped towers with black and chrome parts!
    Now that would be stylish.

Case Design "Black Metal" :p

18. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

i'd be surprised to see "black metal" - Steve's already done that.

Though NeXT cube design for mac would be cool

When I was at NeXT we always wanted to see NeXT on the Mac hw....
    ... and we finally did!

19. mywar2000 macrumors member

19" Rack Mountable !!!

No sphere, It's cool, but c'mon... A simple, smaller desktop. And a rack mount option. Hell yeah!

20. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

21. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Well, after having predicted the new iMac as being a "half sphere", you should all respect my authoritaaah. :D

The Next PowerMac revision will be a dome-topped cylinder. It will take up less desk space, but will be taller so everything will fit.

Hmmm, but what about it falling over? A gyroscope? Oh well, I'm telling you what I think the new PowerMacs will look like, not how they are supposed to stand up... ;)

22. GigaWire macrumors 6502

I dont think want expandibility quite covers it. We absolutely need it!!! every PCI slot in my box is full, and there is not a card in there I can do without.

23. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

the cylinder design is interesting. it could work. im interested in one thing though. all the g5s that have shipped have been in beige boxes. this is pretty standard practice. what i dont know is how apple samples its imacs to developers. i dont know of anyone who gets imacs during development. seems like if apple wanted to test the design it would have to ship the imac in some sort of enclosure that closely mimicked its actual enclosure, which is something apple has always avoided in its PMs. the reason im interested in this is if apple was drastically moving away from a tower enclosure then how would they work out all the technical aspects of it if they have just been shipping developers beige boxes? any idea?

24. shergar macrumors member

New designs..

I imagine the new (G5?) machines will be towers. There are several physical limits to there possible size. I can't imagine they will be much taller than the current G4s: they have to sit under or on a desk . As for width, well hopefully they'll be slimmer that the G4s, but the minimum width has to be a casing which can house the superdrive. There has to be plenty of room for PCI slots and the inside has to be easily accessable.
    Finish? Look at the new imac, the ibook and the tibook: high gloss white with a metalic trim. chrome? maybe. titanium. no, why have a super light metal on a machine which is hardly ever moved?

And Steve (or jonathon) if you're reading this - which I know you're not - how about a firewire port and a couple of USBs on the FRONT of the machine.

25. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Re: New designs..

That wouldn´t work if they are still towers. Towers remain UNDER the desk. You would have to lead the USB/FW cable from trhe front to the back of the table and on the table to the front again! Else the cables will wrap your drawers :D

But at last I´m sure they will keep the design simple. I love that!