G5 dies at restart

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BigDawgES, Sep 19, 2004.

1. BigDawgES macrumors member

Mar 31, 2003
    It seems that every time a program calls for a restart (like after an installation), my powermac freezes at some point immediately before the restart. The screen goes black, but the PM is still on, fans still spinning, and it stays in that mode until I hold down the power button for a hard restart.

The same thing occurs when I manually restart or shutdown, with the difference being that the screen is blue with the spinning black graphic.

I have performed a fresh install (erasing the system partition), repaired permissions but the problem persists.

My internal drive is partitioned, with the partition I boot from being the 2nd partition.
    My system: 2.5 G5, 23in new HD Cinema display, Tascam US 122, iShock II, external HD from OWC.

Thanks for your help!
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Unplug any USB/FireWire devices and see what happens.
  3. slughead macrumors 68030

Apr 28, 2004
    The G5 should've come with a hardware test CD.

Hold down option while booting up and put in the CD, or put the CD in somehow and hold down "C" while booting.

The test CD will boot directly into a testing program, from there just click "extended" test and it'll tell you what to do.
  4. BigDawgES thread starter macrumors member

Mar 31, 2003

Thank you both for your responses. By process of elimination, I determined that the iShock was the culprit.

Thanks again!