G5 Disassembly

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ec1_mac, Sep 29, 2004.

1. ec1_mac macrumors newbie

ec1_mac

Hello. I am new to all this. I have just recieved delivery of my new 20" iMac G5 after selling my powerbook g4. woohoo. Can i upgrade the ram myself? i have been lookng at disassembly pics. not that i have used it yet, but feel 256 could be improved, im looking at a 512 dimm. any ideas? Any one else have one of these and loving it? Please let me know. thankies :)

g5 disassembly

2. Devie macrumors 6502a

You can upgrade the RAM yourself, but make sure you get exactly the same RAM and make them doubles, makes the RAM go dual channel or something...
    What I'd do is get 2x512MB...

3. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Adding 1 512 mb stick for a total of 768 is perfectly fine, you will notice a huge performance boost. It's quite easy too, I've done it on mine.

Adding two identical 512 sticks will give you an even bigger boost, as the ram will run 128 bit as opposed to 64 bit. It's up to you, of course.

4. ec1_mac thread starter macrumors newbie

ec1_mac

i bought a 512 DDR 400 PC3200 as i have read this is whats in my machine. will hopefully work,