G5 DP 1.8Mhz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by alpha mac G4, Dec 9, 2003.

1. alpha mac G4 macrumors newbie

Hello there, I plan on buying a G5 DP 1.8Mhz but Im hearing that Apple Is coming out with a G5 3Mhz model this summer should I wait or what, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. NP3 macrumors regular

Well...there are a lot of factors...

do you need it right now?

Are you a graphic artist that needs all the power possible?

What will you use it for?

Are you on the road a lot where a G5 Powerbook that will hopefully come out next year serve you better?

3. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

3ghz would probably be the end of summer....that's a long ways away. If getting a new computer is very optional for you at the moment, might as well wait. Otherwise, go for the dual 1.8, plenty of power in that beast.

Also, the 3ghz model would probably be in the range of the current 2ghz model, which is a bit more than the 1.8.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Also expect new PowerMacs in January or February. Apple needs to have at least one speed bump in between 2ghz and 3ghz. You should wait until then... there are bound to be improvements beyond pure clock speed (ie fixing some of the PCI issues among the other problems).

5. Gyroscope macrumors regular

My advise to you is, never buy an Mac or PC because as soon as you make your purchase there will be new model around the corner with faster this and that. Eh sure even if you decide to buy one against my advise here, you can always base your decision on information obtained from various rumor sites.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'd agree with this. Yes, new ones are always coming, but macworld SF is a very real possibility for new G5s, and that just isn't that far off. Not like waiting for a mid-late summer announcement...

of course, if you're not doing heavy graphics work... you probably won't even notice the difference anyway. But as eddie said above, there could be other improvements to the next model besides speed.