g5 dual 2.5 connection problems to my linksys gigabit switch??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by maha, Feb 12, 2005.

1. maha macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I have a peculiar problem (well peculiar to me). I just got a dual 2.5 and plugged it into my linksys gigabit switch EG008W and it's not picking up an IP address. The lights on the front for the port that it is connected to just blinks slowly trying to connect - but without success.

So I then took it over to my router - linksys befsr41 and plugged it into a port and it obtained the IP address fine.

I tried different ports on the gigabit switch with the same results. My g4's see the switch just fine.

Any ideas? I did call linksys support (and am ever so disappointed) as their official statement was "we don't support macintosh". After quite a while on the phone with them - not letting them get off that easy - they had me configure the IP manually...try to ping the router... no results.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

cheers

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

In Network Prefs->built-in ethernet configure->Ethernet and set configure to manual, then select speed and duplex explicitly. Sounds like autoselect isn't working against this switch and you're ending up with incorrect speed/duplex setting.

HTH

3. maha thread starter macrumors newbie

excellent! thanks for the quick reply dave....

ok, in the ethernet section (sorry I'm not a super tech person) I set to manual but the only way that the g5 would connect is if I set the Speed option to 100baseTX? Shouldn't it be working with 1000baseTX for gigabit transfer?

thanks again

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Yes it should. Unfortunately I don't know that particular GB switch. Can you manually configure the switch via a browser? I think your problem is simply getting the speed/duplex setting on both ends matched up. Is your gigabit switch full duplex for 1000TX?

5. maha thread starter macrumors newbie

when working it is set to 100baseTX with full duplex (half option is present)

when set to 1000baseTX and set to full duplex - it doesn't work

when set to 1000basetX and set to full duplex, flow-control - it doesn't work

there is also an option for maximum packet size - it's set to standard (1500)

I just logged into the switch and I'm not sure what I am looking for ?

thanks again, I really appreciate the help!

6. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

You don't want to mess with MTU (max packet size); mtu=1500 is standard.

Unfortunately, I can't go the last mile, since I have no idea about the admin interface to your switch. If you can configure each port on the switch, change it from automatic or auto or whatever they call it, and set it to the specific port speed (1000TX) you want. Do the same thing on the Mac side. In other words, don't allow the two ends to try t be smart about it; explicitly set both ends to be the same link characteristics.

I'm sorry you haven't gotten it working, yet. I hope you understand I have no visibility into your specific hardware setup. I'm shooting in the dark the best I can.

7. maha thread starter macrumors newbie

really no worries, I have it working because of your help.

Now I'll see what I can get from the linksys tech support as far as the speed issue now that at least it's pulling an IP address and can see my network. Speeds aren't terribly slow, it just doesn't feel like gigabit and I have a huge job coming up where I will be transferring many large files around.

thanks again

8. Bear macrumors G3

Are you using a good cable?

Not all cables that work for 100megabit will work for gigabit connections.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Don't you need cat6 for gigabit? :confused:

10. Bear macrumors G3

Cat 6, although there was a Cat5E that's supposed to work as well.

Cat5 (and below) are not supported nor recommended for gigabit speeds. And most will just not plain work at gigabit speeds.

11. maha thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using cat 5e which says on the outside of the box is rated for gigabit 1,000 Mbits/second - 4 pair/24 gauge. This is a bulk cable box and I put the connectors on myself. Each cable was tested with an RJ-45 Lan cable tester.

I was told when I was buying the cable that this type was what I needed for the network to get the speed.

Is this right?

12. Bear macrumors G3

Cat5E is fine..the question is does the tester test for juist10/100 cables or is it set up for gigabit as well?

Have you tried a different cable? There could still be something wrong with how your cable is set up. For example try a cable that is know to work at gigabit speeds. And try the new cable on a system know to work at gigabit speeds.

13. maha thread starter macrumors newbie

ahhhhhhhh, I didn't know the testers were rated for speeds...I'm sure this tester is just a basic unit.

I will try getting a cable as you suggested to see if that helps (all of my network cables were created off of this bulk roll that I purchased)

Thanks!