G5 dual 2.5 problems...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by GrizzlyHippo, Aug 19, 2004.

1. GrizzlyHippo macrumors member

OK, while I'm sat here waiting for my dual 2.5 G5 to arrive (another 2-3 weeks) I wanted to hear from those lucky so and so's that already have theirs. Do you have any problems or freezes / kernel panics, or any mechanical issues such as noisy fans, non-working ports etc.

I'm hoping for nothing but good news, but any info will be welcome while I sit here and sulk.

Cheers,
    Grizzly

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ah, custom orders take some time.....the standard configs in the stores are good for everyone.

D

4. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I have yet to receive mine as well, but I have heard of some problems with the new 2.5s that were built in late July. Apparently, some were shipped with faulty processors. :(

Another problem widely noticed is that the stock 9600XT fan has been known to get very loud under stress. Namely, in rendering.

There is another thread out there in which Hotwire has had several "gray screens of death" already.

5. GrizzlyHippo thread starter macrumors member

-sigh-

I hope this doesn't mean I'm in for another Apple debacle, same as I had with my 1.25Ghz PB G4 - 8 months of uneven illumination issues including 2 replacement machines, before I finally screamed loud enough and high enough in Apple UK to get a new 1.5Ghz PB which has been faultless (touch wood) so far and from what I can tell is made in a completely different (and far better) factory.

Fingers crossed for my G5.

Grizzly

6. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Fingers crossed for mine as well.

It has been recommended that you run Apple Hardware Tester when you receive your G5 to make sure there are no problems, however, it appears that the only people who are having problems are those who received their G5s in early August.