G5 Dual 2.7 vs. 24" iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by neonart, Oct 3, 2006.

1. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

I recently went to Microcenter and saw the new 24" iMac. And let me tell you, big is beautiful. I really liked it and started thinking of "upgrading" my dual 2.7 for one of those.

What do you think?

My current machine: G5 Dual 2.7, 4GB RAM, nVidia 6800 Ultra 256mb, 600GB total internal disk space, Dell 24" LCD.

I would get: 24" iMac IC2D 2.16, 2GB RAM, nVidia 7600GT 256mb, 500GB HD, 24" LCD

I'm worried about the RAM capacity, the internal storage, and the upgradeabilty of an AIO, but I'm kinda maxed out on the G5 anyhow.

I really liked the screen on the iMac (better vieing angle than my Dell), and the idea of not having a 50 lb. tower on the floor.
    On the flipside, some of my games are still not universal, and maybe, just maybe, someone will make better AGP video cards for the Mac.

What are your thoughts? Am I crazy? Thanks!

2. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I have the exact same question, really. I have a much less powerful G5, and a 24" Dell, but the space and easier mobility of the imac is tempting. For me, the problem was with adobe/macromedia products, but now i have this MacBook maxed out with 2GB RAM, I think rosetta will do... I would imagine that even FCP would perform better on the iMac than on my G5...

yt

3. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Sell your towers while you still can, and put that money towards a fully specced iMac 24 or a Mac Pro.

If i could get a fair offer for this PowerBook, i would do the same, but it's not worth selling anymore.

Rich.

4. neonart thread starter macrumors 65816

neonart

This is one of the reasons I want to do it. There are still alot of full time Photoshop professionals that will pay for a fast PPC based mac. Looking on eBay I can still get $2000-2500 for my rig, plus the monitor.

The fact is that Intel macs are the future (for now), and PPC is out. Soon developers will transition from Universal to Intel only...it's just a matter of when.

5. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Right on the money! Go with what you just said.

Rich.

6. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i doubt developer are gonna make intel only.. not for another number of yrs.. by then, these imacs are gonna be out of fasion too... if anything, the 2.7GHz powermac should last just as long as the iMac

but in your case, probably getting a mac pro might be a better choice.. after using powermac, and seen the expandability of it, i dont think i can ever get a imac myself.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

stay with the G5. It's going to do much better for you with that 4 GB of RAM. The imac is nice, but it relaly doesn't give you anything that you don't have already (you have just as much RAM, processor power, HD space, graphics power, etc. as the imac does in your G5 already).

8. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

But with the money he could make on his PowerMac with the upgrades, he could get a 2.66 Mac Pro with 1-2 GB or RAM, then start all over.

Get the Mac Pro. Sell the G5 while you can get what it's worth.

Also, before the liquid cooler bursts like many, many others have.

Rich.

9. neonart thread starter macrumors 65816

neonart

bearbo and QCassidy352, you both make good points and these are the reasons I've not jumped the gun.

I realize that the iMac has RAM limitations (cost and max limit) that my G5 does not. Also it's true that PPC Apps will still be available for quite a while, so this is more of an excuse than a real reason.

fatsoforgotso I've considered the Mac Pro, but I'd probably have to shell out some $ even in the lowest config to stay on par with the G5, and I keep the Dell 24" that I'm not in love with. But this would get me into the Intel thing, and keep the upgradeability even if I start with a basic confguration.

10. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I don't know. IMO, the PM G5's are still VERY capable macs, and will still be for a good couple of years. Sure, the intel macs are more future-proof, but if your PM serves it's purpose, why get rid of it?

11. neonart thread starter macrumors 65816

neonart

Basically because I can upgrade with minimal cost. Once Adobe has all Universal Applications the G5's will depreciate dramatically.
    It's like selling stock while it's still has value. :D