G5 Dual 2GHz for $1498 from CompUSA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by papersushi, Jan 22, 2005.

1. papersushi macrumors regular

CompUSA is selling brandnew G5 Dual 2GHz for $1498, its the previous model, which was the top of the line config. Compares with current Dual 2GHz, only thing is it has 4x DVD-R. Here is the config:

Power Mac G5 Minitower
    Dual PowerPC G5 2GHz Processors
    512MB RAM
    160GB Hard Drive
    4X DVD-R / 16X10X32 CD-RW SuperDrive
    Manufacturer: Apple
    Mfg Part #: M9032LL/A
    Product Number: 305066
    $1,499.98

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305066&pfp=BROWSE

2. papersushi thread starter macrumors regular

Just realized that its in-store pickup only and I can't find it anywhere has this one in stock. Anyone else has any lucky at your local CompUSA store?

3. DonWilson macrumors member

Not available anywhere in Dallas. What a great deal :rolleyes:

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

LOL, "Minitower", has anyone at CompUSA seen these things!? :eek:

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

None in MI either... I would have driven accross the state for this deal (as soon as this freaking blizzard cleared up)!

Curious to see if anyone snags one of these...

Rob

6. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Is there website down?

I cannot access compusa.com from any of my computers.

7. Dan8302 macrumors member

Dan8302

8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

9. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

None anywhere. Bummer, I would have bought a few and had a nice little cluster :p

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Maybe they mean Minitower as opposed to a tower of rack mount servers :rolleyes:

12. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

13. benwa02 macrumors 6502

All of them say minitower even the 2.5ghz for $3,000. Ive noticed how strange their prices have been on the PM's before. The 1.8 is $500 more than the 2.0. Just thought it was a screwup. Differences I see is the DVD write speeds, one has OS X--new OS X panther, old ATI RADEON 9600 Pro--new Nvidia 5200 ultra, old no garageband, old 4lbs lighter, old $1,000 cheaper.
    Hell I can deal with that. None in stock around me though. Ill def. buy one if i can find it.

14. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Can someone check CT for me please zip 06035. Why won't the site work for me?

15. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Nope. Like I said, none anywhere. I've checked about 10 major cities and none of them had any.

16. krappamc macrumors member

impossible to find.

oh well... if i knew a little sooner..

17. danmoo macrumors newbie

None in Maryland

Out of Stock in Maryland. But i'd have to wonder why it only writes DVDs at 4x speed? Apple.com says that their SuperDrives write at 8x speed. OH well for nearly $1000 dollars ($800 if you can get education discount) off the price- this isnt a bad deal! :) Maybe Apple will start cutting prices on their PM line? Soon? Soon? One can only hope :/

18. jbrjake macrumors member

they're all out of stock?!

It's not just the cheap, old-model 2.0 that's out of stock.

CompUSA, apparently, has no on-line inventory of 2.5 or 2.0 GHz PMacs, though they do have the dual 1.8 and it's little single-cpu brother.

Things get more interesting when I check in-store. Of the 4 CompUSAs in the Tampa Bay area, none have any stock of the 2.5, 2.0, or single 1.8. One store in Bradenton has "limited quantities" of the dual 1.8.

Please let this mean what I want it to mean.

19. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

No one's hoping more than I am... but I fear we still have a long time to wait.

20. lordmac macrumors regular

Yay i apear to have 5 store near me with them.

Wow according to the thing i appear to have 5 store with near me. I live in the Northern Virginia area and all these stores appear to be any from 7 to 18 miles away. To bad I am not in the market for a desktop, and I wish these could have been at stores near those of you who would want to take advantage of this. :D :rolleyes:

21. amoildani macrumors member

has anyone actually succesfully found one? It searched online at my local stores and it says one of them has "limited quantities" but im not sure that means ALL powermacs, or that $1500 one in particular

22. motherfather macrumors newbie

Supposedly the South Austin CompUSA had a couple as of Saturday but they were long gone by the time I could get down there on Sunday.

23. benwa02 macrumors 6502

Well, when the updates come for the PM, which is soon, this is prolly gonna happen again. That way anyone who wants one will be prepared to get them while they last. I know I am gonna try.

24. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Wouldn't be the first company to post an unbelievably good price and not have the stock to back it up :rolleyes:

It attracts interest; I think the idea is that maybe 1 out of 10 visitors will think, 'Oh, THAT'S not in stock, but THIS is for only a couple hundred dollars more! It's a deal!'

I guess I can see the logic.

andy.

25. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

zimtheinvader

Whennnn, when will the PM update come?! In 4 days or 4 months... There appears to be a lot of speculation that it won't come until Tiger is released...which was also (formerly?) when the elusive PBG5 was slated to be intro'd. Still though, hopefully soon!!
    Also, compusa has a had quite a few odd deals (qwerty clie, hdds, ect.) maybe this was at one time working...