G5 Dual Core 3ghz could it be?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MacTruck, Jul 2, 2005.

1. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Anyone think the dual core G5 will still materialize? Any idea when this could happen? Think they will release a Powermac update on a non event? I feel like something will happen soon, don't know why.

I NEED SUPER DUPER COMPUTER SPEED... for websurfing and email. WHAHHHAAA!

From the Superhero manual... (The Hall of Justice computer was a MAC)!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A dual 2.0-2.3 GHz is more likely unless IBM suddenly makes a 60-75% cut in power and heat with the switch to PPC970GX.

That's if Apple didn't change the Max Power/Heat specs.

3. ksz macrumors 68000

I too hope that a dual-core PPC PowerMac is in the pipeline, but it should have forward-looking chipset technologies (PCIe, SATA-II, DDR-whatever) or it will be Disappointment City yet again.

4. MacTruck thread starter macrumors 65816

MacTruck

I agree. But you know what? I have a DUAL LAYER DVD burner and no dang dual layer discs. Can't find them for under $4 a piece and thats if I can find them and none are 4x just 2.4x. Kind of like SATA drives. Try to find the 400gb Seagate SATA drive locally anywhare. They all still use PATA. I don't think I have ever seen a SATA II drive anywhere yet. So these technologies are great only if they are supported.

Give me a mac that uses PC video cards then I will be happy. Ohhhh, will that be the Mactel? (mouth watering)

5. ksz macrumors 68000

Yes I am aware of the dual-layer disc problem, but I still favor forward-looking technologies. Some technologies will be adopted more slowly than others, but if I am to spend $3000 on a PM, I want it to incorporate the latest existing technologies. Hitachi, Samsung and Western Digital have SATA-II drives on the market (http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2454&p=1). I expect the PM to have a 4-5 year lifespan, and in that time I have every confidence in a widespread adoption of SATA-II. My point: Don't cripple the machine's future right from the start.

Your standards may vary.

6. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

hmm

i would not be surprised if ibm do achieve this just to stick 2 fingers up at apple anything is possible in the computer market ANYTHING

remember when apple nearly went bust !!!

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't forget nVidia, they got down to $3 million in the bank before they got the company turned around.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Can somebody answer my question - will 300 MHz increase over 2.7 GHz make you return home faster from work? I bet most of you will not even notice this increase!!

Also, if Apple went to dual cores, will they make single CPU Power Macs with dual cores or Dual with dual cores?

Which is better - to have dual core CPU or to have dual CPU?

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I would say doubtful, but of course I could be wrong. If something like this was in the pipeline though, I don't think Apple would have made its choice to dump IBM and go with Intel - I think the lack of progress of technologies such as this are part of the reasons Apple made its switch.